Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What causes the GHz of my computer to decrease?

1. Jun 27, 2003 #1
    My computer is (supposed to be) 1.8GHz, a few weeks ago when I viewed the information in "My Computer" it said I had 1.46 GHz.. and a few days ago it fell to 1.10GHz, and hasn't changed since.

What causes the GHz of my computer to decrease? How can I fix it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2003 #2
    I've heard of spyware. I've heard of bloatware. I've heard of vaporware. And I've heard of crapware. Now I can add FUDware to the list. You obviously need to buy a new computer, make sure you have authentic windows from Microsoft preinstalled on your new comp http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/

Seriously though have you noticed the speed of the computer go down? Not that this will really tell you anything because windows rot will slow down the computer anyway. I think the processor will only physicsally slow down if it gets over heated or underpowered. The problem is more than likely some less than scientific method that the wizards at microsoft came up with to gauge the clock speed of the processor. I'd check the fan on the CPU and the power supply and if that looks fine, send MS hate mail.
  4. Jun 27, 2003 #3

Science Advisor

Agreed. More then likely it is something buggy that is reading your cpu speed.

What you can do is run a benchmark program and compare the results to people with similar computer setups.

Also, seems like it should tell you your cpu speed during the boot-up sequence. I'd check here. Maybe you can find an aftermarket piece of software to keep you informed properly.

What version of windows you using?

Have you upgraded to the most recent update for that version?

Another thing to point out is that OS's become corrupt over time. I know that I reinstall windows about 2-3 times a year. The way to do this with little pain is keep all your important info on a completly separate harddrive. This way you can simply reformat the c: drive and install again. I can have windows installed in a matter of minutes, depending on computer speed and such.

Over time, especially if you do not shutdown properly once in a while, you will lose valuable info. Plus installing/uninstalling programs can make a mess of your registry, which over time, makes windows and your computer have a brain fart.
  5. Jun 27, 2003 #4
  6. Jun 28, 2003 #5
    All of the advice here is good, but let me just add:

If you are using a laptop, beware of speedstep. Speedstep is Intel's clock-reducing program, designed to conserve battery life in laptops running on battery.

If you are not using a laptop, check bios settings for weird info, like odd power settings for the proccessor, etc.

Odd problem tho...never seen it before. Course, I don't often re-check my CPU speed either :wink:
  7. Jul 1, 2003 #6

Staff: Mentor

Re: GHz..

Where exactly are you looking? There isn't anything in "My Computer" (unless you dig really deep) that will tell you the clock speed of your computer. You sure you aren't looking at your hard drive space?

To view your clock speed look in control panel->administrative tools->Computer management->System Information->System Summary.
  8. Jul 2, 2003 #7
    Re: Re: GHz..

I can't follow the above procedure. I get lost at system information. I do however see my processor speed when I go to My Computer (ie, right click and choose Properties). I have a similar "problem," although I'd rather not think of it like that. My speed will read either 1.79GHz or 1.05GHz in a predictable fashion. It alternates! Every other time I check, it is the same figure. I assumed it wasn't actually a measurement, but just some read out typed in by whoever made my computer. It is supposed to be 1.8GHz. The program given above reads well the speed of the computer I'm on now. I'll give it a shot on my other computer and see what happens.
  9. Jul 3, 2003 #8

Science Advisor

Your correct in your method Stephen. Thats the short cut. I think the way russ mentioned gives a bit more detailed info.

Just as an example of how unreliable the data can be where your looking, the computer I'm currently sitting at tells me I have 127.00 MB of ram.

First time I've ever noticed that, on any pc.

Its like, MS is the Ford of OS's.
  10. Jul 5, 2003 #9
    hey i checkd and my ram is only 504...dose taht even exist
  11. Jul 9, 2003 #10
    Well...if you have a video card on-board then it could take some memory from system memory...
    Do you have a pentium or athlon xp ?
  12. Jul 9, 2003 #11

Staff: Mentor

Yep. It is likely that you have 512 with 8 shared with video, leaving 504 for system ram.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?