So, sorry for asking a stupid question.What causes Time to Move?

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
In summary, time moves because the fundamental laws of the universe have terms that involve the rate of change over time. This allows systems to evolve in time and interact with matter. However, science is unable to answer the question of why these fundamental laws have these terms, leaving it to philosophers and priests.
Stratosphere
Does time actually get moved by something, or does it jut move because it does?

* I forgot to put a space between time and move

Physics news on Phys.org
Does time move? I mean, I know we have expressions like "where did the time go?" but I never thought that was literal. What exactly do you mean by time moving?

Are you asking why a system evolves in time?

I suppose that I WAS asking why a system evloves around time, I just wasn't sure how to word it. So what makes things evolve around time then? And how does time interact with matter?

Stratosphere said:
I suppose that I WAS asking why a system evloves around time, I just wasn't sure how to word it. So what makes things evolve around time then? And how does time interact with matter?
Well, the fundamental laws have d/dt terms in them like Newton's 2nd law:
f = dp/dt

Or Faraday's law
curl(E) = -dB/dt

So systems evolve in time because the fundamental laws of the universe have d/dt in them.

Of course, science is completely ill-suited to answer "why" questions, and as any 4-year-old knows you can always take any "because" answer and ask another "why" question. In this case the logical 4-year-old progression would be "why do the laws have d/dt terms in them". And the answer is "science can never answer why any of the fundamental laws are the way they are" (a fancy way of saying nobody knows why except priests and philosophers).

What causes Time to Move?

1. Is time a physical force that causes objects to move?

No, time is not considered a physical force. It is a measurement of the duration of events and the intervals between them.

2. Does gravity play a role in causing time to move?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can affect the passage of time. The stronger the gravitational pull, the slower time moves.

3. Can human behavior or emotions influence the speed of time?

No, human behavior or emotions do not have a direct effect on time. However, our perception of time can be influenced by our emotions and the activities we engage in.

4. Is there a connection between time and the movement of celestial bodies?

Yes, the movement of celestial bodies, such as the Earth's rotation and revolution around the sun, help us measure time and its passage.

5. Can time be manipulated or controlled?

No, time is a constant and cannot be manipulated or controlled. However, our perception of time can be altered through various factors such as gravity, speed, and our own experiences.