What chemical should I use to etch away tin?

In summary, the individual is a chemical engineer seeking assistance in finding a solution to etch away tin compounds on a microscopic level from a metallic surface composed of palladium, copper, and silver. They are also considering the Hazmat disposal of the end products and looking for suggestions on chemicals to use. Tin oxide is the compound they are trying to remove and it can be dissolved with strong bases.
Klausius
I am having difficulty in finding a solution that can etch away tin compounds in my metallic surface. The metallic surface has a composition of palladium, copper, and silver. There is a tin compound deposited on the surface which I would like to etch away or remove. This is on a microscopic level. Please help me. Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Klausius said:
I am having difficulty in finding a solution that can etch away tin compounds in my metallic surface. The metallic surface has a composition of palladium, copper, and silver. There is a tin compound deposited on the surface which I would like to etch away or remove. This is on a microscopic level. Please help me. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the PF, and you're welcome in advance. :smile:

So can you say more about your project please? What is your plan for Hazmat disposal of the end products of your process? What volume are we talking about? Micrograms or gallons?

What have you found in your reading so far? Can you share the MSDS documents that you've found so far for the prospective chemicals for your project?

I see from your New Member Introduction post that you are a professional working ChemE. Welcome That means you are familiar with MSDS considerations, and I'm looking forward to your relply. Thanks.
Klausius said:
I am a chemical engineer by profession based in the Philippines. I am expecting to create connections with you guys and build friendships as we help each other develop and expand knowledge on our respective fields.

Messsage me!

Likes Bystander
Hello! This is a microscopic view. I have a wire made up of Palladium, Copper, and Silver. There is a dirt on the wire surface made up of tin compound. I want to remove it using a certain chemical that can etch all the tin compounds away so my wire is dirt free. Can you suggest me chemicals to use? Thanks. and sorry for the late reply. :)

With regards to Hazmat disposal, since it is only a microscale. The chemicals that will be disposed will only be poured in a reagent container for waste. or it depends on the chemical that I will be using on how to dispose it properly, or if there is needed any additional processes to safely discharge it to the environment. :)

Thanks for your replies and clarification. I think I will page @Borek to help with your question... :smile:

Thank you so much @berkeman ! Looking forward to hearing from all of you. :)

Do you know what tin compound it can be?

Could you use mild abrasive cleaning ?

Tin oxide can be soluble in strong bases, that should be safe for your other metals.

1. What is the best chemical to use for etching away tin?

The best chemical to use for etching away tin is hydrochloric acid. It is a strong acid that can effectively dissolve tin and is easily accessible in most hardware stores.

2. Are there any other chemicals that can be used to etch away tin besides hydrochloric acid?

Yes, there are other chemicals that can be used to etch away tin, such as nitric acid, sulfuric acid, and hydrofluoric acid. However, these acids are more corrosive and can be hazardous to handle, so they should be used with caution.

3. Is there a specific concentration or strength of hydrochloric acid that should be used for etching tin?

The recommended concentration of hydrochloric acid for etching tin is between 10-20%. Using a higher concentration may result in a faster etching process, but it can also be more dangerous to handle. It is important to follow safety precautions and dilute the acid properly before use.

4. Can hydrochloric acid be used to etch other metals besides tin?

Yes, hydrochloric acid can be used to etch other metals such as copper, brass, and zinc. It is a versatile acid that can effectively dissolve many different types of metals.

5. How long does it take for hydrochloric acid to etch away tin?

The etching time can vary depending on the concentration of the acid and the thickness of the tin. Typically, it takes around 5-10 minutes for hydrochloric acid to etch away thin layers of tin. For thicker layers, it may take longer and may require multiple applications of the acid.