What Are the Ideal High School Classes for a Future Medical Student?

• Thread starter Sydneys1128
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the individual is a 13-year-old student entering their freshman year of high school. They are an overall good student and are feeling nervous about their class selections. Their schedule includes Honors Math 1, Honors English 1, Spanish 2, Honors World History, and Honors Earth and Environmental. They are interested in pursuing a career in the medical field and have high expectations for their future. They are considering attending Yale, Brown, UNC Chapel Hill, and John Hopkins. However, they are not allowed to take Honors Biology in their freshman year due to not taking Math 1 in 8th grade. They are seeking advice on the best high school classes to take for a good chance of getting into college
Sydneys1128
I am 13 years old going into my freshman year. I am overall a good student. High school is starting for me so I am getting more nervous about my class selections. I am taking Honors Math 1, Honors English 1, Spanish 2, Honors World History, and Honors Earth and Environmental. I haven't received my schedule yet so I don't know what my electives are. I REALLY wanted to take honors Biology freshman year but I am not allowed to since I didn't take Math 1 this year in 8th grade. I am looking to go to Yale, Brown, UNC Chapel Hill and John Hopkins. I want to become something in the medical field. I don't know what yet but I was thinking something like a pediatrician, dentist, vet or something like that. I have pretty high expectations for my future so I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make it happen. What are the best classes to take in high school to give me a good chance of getting me into Med School and a college I want? Also, if there are any other good colleges you know of that are good for the medical field please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Med school is 6-8 years away, I wouldn't worry about that quite yet. You are doing well in that you are taking honors classes in high school. If you can, try and take some courses at your local community college as well to prepare you for university, if you want. If you want to go to medical school, decide what you want to major in in college, since most universities don't have a "pre-med" major, but it's just a program. You may want to consider biology, or chemistry, or something. Take courses in wahtever you decide to major in in college.

But for now... I wouldn't worry about that.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing classes?

There are several factors you should consider when choosing classes, including your academic goals, degree requirements, personal interests, and availability of classes. It's important to have a balance of challenging and interesting classes that align with your academic and career aspirations.

2. How many classes should I take per semester?

The number of classes you take per semester depends on various factors, such as your workload, time management skills, and personal commitments. It's important to consider your ability to handle the workload and maintain a good balance between your academic and personal life.

3. Should I take classes in my major or explore other subjects?

It's essential to take classes in your major to fulfill degree requirements and gain knowledge and skills in your field of study. However, it's also beneficial to explore other subjects that interest you, as it can broaden your perspective and enhance your critical thinking skills.

4. How do I know if a class is right for me?

Before enrolling in a class, consider the course description, prerequisites, and reviews from previous students. You can also speak with your academic advisor or peers who have taken the class to get a better understanding of the course and determine if it aligns with your interests and goals.

5. Can I change my classes after the semester has started?

It's possible to change your classes after the semester has started, but it's important to check your school's policies and deadlines for adding or dropping classes. Keep in mind that changing classes may affect your academic progress and financial aid, so it's best to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes.