Finding the Coefficient for No Movement: Homework Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a two-part question about finding acceleration and coefficient of friction. The first part has already been solved, while the second part asks for the coefficient needed for the object not to move. The person has attempted to solve the problem but has not been able to find the answer yet. They mention that the force of friction must equal the applied force without friction.
ExtendedG

Homework Statement

So basically this is a two part question, first part was find acceleration of the system (which i already found) with a coefficient of friction of 0.1. B) asks you what coefficient you need for the object not to move?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figured the acceleration has to be 0 for the object not to move, and I played around and stuff but nothing really got me the answer I needed. I understand that the force of friction must equal the force applied without friction.. I think :/

Physics news on Phys.org
We do not know the whole question.

1. How do you find the coefficient for no movement?

The coefficient for no movement, also known as the coefficient of static friction, can be found by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force applied to an object. This value is typically denoted as μs.

2. What is the purpose of finding the coefficient for no movement?

Finding the coefficient for no movement allows us to understand the relationship between the force of friction and the normal force. This is useful in predicting the motion of an object on a surface and determining the minimum force needed to cause movement.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient for no movement?

The coefficient for no movement can be affected by factors such as the surface texture and composition, the weight and shape of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How does the coefficient for no movement differ from the coefficient for sliding friction?

The coefficient for no movement, or static friction, is the maximum force that can be applied to an object without causing it to move. The coefficient for sliding friction, or kinetic friction, is the force required to keep an object in motion at a constant speed.

5. Can the coefficient for no movement be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient for no movement can be greater than 1. This indicates that a greater force is needed to overcome the friction and cause the object to move. However, in most cases, the coefficient for no movement is less than 1.