Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What color is the sky?

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    What color is the sky on extra-solar planet?

Hi I'm writing a story and I need to figure out what color the sky is on a planet orbiting Zeta Tucanae that has close to the same atmosphere as earth.

just so you know Zeta Tucanae's Spectrum is F9V and Color Index is 0.576

It would be great if you can tell me how to find the color myself, or direct me to something that will, that way I won't have to bug you guys in the future.

Thanks alot,
    Dan

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Dan! Welcome to PF! :smile:

F9 is only two grades hotter than the Sun (the Sun is G2, and it goes F9, G1, G2, …), so the intrinsic light will be pretty similar.

But the sky colour really depends on the thickness of the atmosphere, and whatever's suspended in the atmosphere.

The Sun's light is actually white, but Earth's atmosphere is so thick that diffraction makes the sky blue and direct sunlight yellow.

(btw, I've never really understood why the Moon doesn't also look yellow, on that basis :confused:)

On Mars, the sky is red, but that's only because of all the red dust in it. :wink:

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering#Rayleigh_scattering_from_molecules"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook