Chicken or Egg? Gravity & Spacetime

• Thread starter DWEdmondson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary, neither gravity nor entropy is caused by the curvature of spacetime, but gravity is caused by the uneven distribution of mass/energy.
DWEdmondson
Is gravity the effect of the curvature of spacetime or does gravity effect the curvature of spacetime?

Physics news on Phys.org
Curvature of spacetime is gravity.

Likes bcrowell and jedishrfu
DrGreg said:
Curvature of spacetime is gravity.
Thank you. I have read that "Gravity is most accurately described by the general theory of relativity (proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915) which describes gravity, not as a force, but as a consequence of the curvature of spacetime caused by the uneven distribution of mass/energy." Is this then entropy also?

jedishrfu said:
Neither, Prof Wheeler expressed it eloquently with his quote:

Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Archibald_Wheeler
Thank you for that link.
Prof. Wheeler is indeed an eloquent writer unlike Albert Einstein who I find a tad equivocal. I find Alberts remarks a little confusing at times.

DWEdmondson said:
I have read that
This really does not help the discussion along unless you specify where you read it.

Well, Wikipedia is not the most accurate of sources, in particular on technical subjects. You should keep this in mind when reading it.

Likes DWEdmondson
Orodruin said:
Well, Wikipedia is not the most accurate of sources, in particular on technical subjects. You should keep this in mind when reading it.
So I am left with "Gravity IS the curvature of spacetime" right? Are there any links to the description of gravity in layman terms that does not involve complicated mathematics? I am starting to think that even Einstein has left the door open on this topic and I am wondering why we don't have a description for how gravity works at the quantum level.

I quite enjoyed bcrowell's "Relativity for Poets", free to download from lightandmatter.com. Note that any non-mathematical description will necessarily be extremely vague. I don't think there's any non-mathematical way to describe the implications of a second order non linear differential tensor equation that is remotely precise.

We don't have a theory of quantum gravity because it turns out to be hard to shoot blind, and our experiments aren't yet anywhere near sensitive enough to provide any illumination.

Likes DWEdmondson
Ibix said:
I quite enjoyed bcrowell's "Relativity for Poets", free to download from lightandmatter.com. Note that any non-mathematical description will necessarily be extremely vague. I don't think there's any non-mathematical way to describe the implications of a second order non linear differential tensor equation that is remotely precise.

We don't have a theory of quantum gravity because it turns out to be hard to shoot blind, and our experiments aren't yet anywhere near sensitive enough to provide any illumination.
"Relativity for Poets" is gold thanks! Learn and understand the equivalence principle first, then understand what is actually meant by curvature of spacetime before asking silly questions. Thanks once again.

1. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

This classic question has puzzled scientists and philosophers for centuries. The answer lies in evolution - the first chicken evolved from a different species of bird, and it laid the first chicken egg. Therefore, the egg came first.

2. How does gravity affect the chicken and egg?

Gravity is a fundamental force that affects all objects with mass. In terms of the chicken and egg, gravity keeps them both on the ground and prevents them from floating away into space. It also plays a role in the development of the egg, as gravity helps to shape the egg as it grows inside the chicken.

3. How does spacetime come into play with the chicken and egg?

Spacetime is the fabric of the universe that combines the dimensions of space and time. It is through spacetime that gravity acts, as massive objects like the chicken and egg cause a curvature in spacetime. This curvature is what causes objects to be pulled towards each other, creating the force of gravity.

4. Can the chicken and egg exist without gravity and spacetime?

No, the chicken and egg, as well as all other objects in the universe, cannot exist without gravity and spacetime. These fundamental forces are what hold the universe together and allow for the existence of all matter and energy.

5. Do chickens and eggs experience time differently due to spacetime?

While chickens and eggs may not experience time in the same way that humans do, they are still affected by the flow of time in spacetime. The rate at which time passes is influenced by gravity, so objects with more mass, like a chicken, may experience time differently than smaller objects, like an egg.