Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What comes first the chicken or the egg?

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    Is gravity the effect of the curvature of spacetime or does gravity effect the curvature of spacetime?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Curvature of spacetime is gravity.

5. Feb 20, 2016 #4
    Thank you. I have read that "Gravity is most accurately described by the general theory of relativity (proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915) which describes gravity, not as a force, but as a consequence of the curvature of spacetime caused by the uneven distribution of mass/energy." Is this then entropy also?

6. Feb 20, 2016 #5
    Thank you for that link.
    Prof. Wheeler is indeed an eloquent writer unlike Albert Einstein who I find a tad equivocal. I find Alberts remarks a little confusing at times.

7. Feb 21, 2016 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This really does not help the discussion along unless you specify where you read it.

8. Feb 21, 2016 #7
  9. Feb 21, 2016 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, Wikipedia is not the most accurate of sources, in particular on technical subjects. You should keep this in mind when reading it.

10. Feb 21, 2016 #9
    So I am left with "Gravity IS the curvature of spacetime" right? Are there any links to the description of gravity in layman terms that does not involve complicated mathematics? I am starting to think that even Einstein has left the door open on this topic and I am wondering why we don't have a description for how gravity works at the quantum level.

11. Feb 21, 2016 #10

Ibix

Science Advisor

I quite enjoyed bcrowell's "Relativity for Poets", free to download from lightandmatter.com. Note that any non-mathematical description will necessarily be extremely vague. I don't think there's any non-mathematical way to describe the implications of a second order non linear differential tensor equation that is remotely precise.

We don't have a theory of quantum gravity because it turns out to be hard to shoot blind, and our experiments aren't yet anywhere near sensitive enough to provide any illumination.

12. Feb 21, 2016 #11
    "Relativity for Poets" is gold thanks! Learn and understand the equivalence principle first, then understand what is actually meant by curvature of spacetime before asking silly questions. Thanks once again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook