What is the black stuff on my LED bicycle light?

• Thread starter ramonegumpert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help to identify a small component inside a drop of black glue or insulating material in a LED bicycle light. Another person suggests that it is a microcontroller acting as a multivibrator and provides a link for more information. The conversation also mentions a previous thread with similar discussions and a picture showing the same component. It is explained that the black material is epoxy and the process used for manufacturing it is called Chip On Board, which is not very reliable.
ramonegumpert
Dear experts, :)

I found a LED bicycle blinking light. The circuit is very small and it has a drop of, what i can only describe as, thick black dried 'ink' or glue or insulating material (as shown in the picture ) http://www.flickr.com/photos/46348930@N03/4257680841/ . I opened up another bigger LED light and it too has something like that. But i cannot see what is inside the black thing. The url again is : http://www.flickr.com/photos/46348930@N03/4257680841/

I a trying to find out what component so small is inside this drop of black glue/insulating matter.

So, could you kindly advise me what could be inside?

Thank you!

Sincerely
Ramone

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Its a micro controller of some sort acting as a multivibrator. You could build your own with a 555 timer easily. you might be able to find a number on it if you heat the chip up and have an small knife. good luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multivibrator"

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a similar thread a month ago. There were some links in that one:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=360893

attachment.php?attachmentid=22326&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1260199370.jpg

But that picture wasn't as good as yours:
4257680841_34a9084a39.jpg

The black stuff is epoxy. Underneath is a chip that has jumper wires to the board. The process is called Chip On Board, or COB. In the past, it was the least expensive means of very high volume manufacture, but it's also one of the least reliable. Water vapor eventually gets in and poisons the chip, leaving you with something that can't be serviced.

1. What is a component in science?

A component in science refers to a part or element of a larger system or object. It can be a physical part, such as a piece of equipment or a chemical substance, or an abstract concept, such as a variable in an experiment.

2. How do you determine which component is causing a specific effect?

In order to determine which component is causing a specific effect, scientists use a process called elimination. This involves systematically testing each component of the system and eliminating them one by one until the desired effect is no longer present.

3. Can multiple components be responsible for a single effect?

Yes, it is possible for multiple components to work together to produce a single effect. In complex systems, it is often difficult to isolate a single component as the sole cause of an effect.

4. What are some common components in scientific experiments?

Some common components in scientific experiments include control variables, independent variables, dependent variables, and constants. These components help scientists to design and conduct experiments in a systematic and controlled manner.

5. How can identifying components in a system help with problem-solving?

Identifying components in a system can help with problem-solving by allowing scientists to understand how different factors interact and contribute to a specific problem. This knowledge can then be used to develop effective solutions to address the issue at hand.