1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What counts as a circuit?

1. Jun 9, 2018 #1

Daniel2244

Gold Member

I have to construct suitable circuits to show the operational principles of some sensors: pH meter, sound, light and temperature. Would these count as circuits? or diagrams? (I'd say diagrams).
    [​IMG]
    I am finding it hard to find circuits showing how sound sensors and pH sensors work etc and the ones I do find are beyond my level such as:
    schem1.png
    I under stand how the sound sensors work, such as the diaphragm microhphone (shown in first picture). Just wanting to know if I could use diagrams as circuits it would make my life easier.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2018 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

When you say construct, do you mean circuits that actually work?

Is this homework?

Edit: Can you use instruments like meters or an oscilloscope instead of circuits you build yourself?

4. Jun 9, 2018 #3

Daniel2244

Gold Member

I don't think it really matters, it just says "Learners will produce circuit diagrams of the transducer/sensor chosen and explain their operation anduses".
    And yes but I didn't think I should put in the homework part due to only wanting to know if the first one counts as a circuit.mb

5. Jun 9, 2018 #4

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

I think they mean that they will teach you how to do that.

6. Jun 9, 2018 #5

Daniel2244

Gold Member

We have to research it but for some of the sensors such as sound and pH I can't find any basic circuits

7. Jun 9, 2018 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Honestly ? Do you know of Google/Bing ?

I typed pH meter circuits into Bing/Google and got dozens of circuits

https://www.bing.com/search?q=pH+me...s=n&sk=&cvid=aec1ef5562ac4a0aaf5c6f26fbc0448a

A sound sensor can be as simple as a microphone ( the most common sound sensor)
    it will be connected to a preamp circuit and then outputted to your recording device ( PC etc)

I will let you google microphone and preamplifier circuits

Dave

8. Jun 10, 2018 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't see the first image in the OP.

9. Jun 10, 2018 #8

Daniel2244

Gold Member

10. Jun 10, 2018 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The link works and I believe it's a good example of what they are asking for. You need to add words explaining how it works and uses.

11. Jun 10, 2018 #10

Daniel2244

Gold Member

I have explained how every sensor I used works such as the pH meter, sound, temperature, light just the graphs I was strugling on as the graphs I got for some way beyond my learning level.

12. Jun 10, 2018 #11

Daniel2244

Gold Member

Could you please take a look at this? https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ion-principle-of-the-ldr.949307/#post-6011157
    If you do the circuit I constructed isn't how I measured light. but I have to construct a circuit and using my data to illustarte how an LDR works among other sensors.

13. Jun 12, 2018 #12

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I understand correctly your task is mainly to explain how sensors work and are used. So you need a circuit that models the inner workings of the sensor and block diagrams for the rest (amplifiers, A-D converters, meters etc)

If they expect you to build and test the circuits you need detailed circuits for the rest as well.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted