1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What course should I take?

1. Jul 8, 2015 #1
    So, for next fall I was thinking of taking:

1) GR
    2) E and M 1
    3) Abstract Algebra 1
    4) not sure

I was thinking of taking either graduate quantum or taking graduate E and M instead of the undergrad version and instead take a second math course. Now, I have taken undergrad quantum, but I was thinking that graduate quantum would help me understand quantum to greater detail. I was also thinking of taking Cosmology, but I think that is a bad idea as I have not taken GR.

What is your opinion?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2015 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The answers to your questions depend very heavily on what the undergraduate EM and QM courses at your school are like. At my school if you take undergrad QM then grad QM is more or less redundant. Taking grad EM before undergrad EM is a rather terrible idea because grad EM is more or less just a math methods class and a light introduction to classical field theory. You are assumed to have learnt the physics from undergrad EM at the level of Griffiths; said physics is extremely foundational and important.

On the other hand taking cosmology before GR is perfectly fine. There is very little GR in cosmology; whatever is there you can easily learn in a matter of days.

4. Jul 9, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It might be a good idea to give the course descriptions of the courses you're planning to take. And perhaps the books they'll use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook