1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What δ means?

1. Jul 19, 2016 #1
    Hello I have seen this symbol in many equations it looks like this:δΓ. I know that Γ means (that is Cristoffel symbol) but I don't know what δ means. Does anybody know?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2016 #2
    Differential of a path function is δ....Differential of a state function is d....

4. Jul 19, 2016 #3
    [1] " In mathematics, the Kronecker delta (named after Leopold Kronecker) is a function of two variables, usually just positive integers. The function is 1 if the variables are equal, and 0 otherwise:
    δ i j = { 0 if i ≠ j , 1 if i = j . {\displaystyle \delta _{ij}={\begin{cases}0&{\text{if }}i\neq j,\\1&{\text{if }}i=j.\end{cases}}} https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/904297d67d13919327bab9243517aef32e96c550
    where the Kronecker delta δij is a piecewise function of variables i and j. For example, δ1 2 = 0, whereas δ3 3 = 1."
    Note: this did not copy and paste properly. " {\displaystyle \delta _{ij}={\begin{cases}0&{\text{if }}i\neq j,\\1&{\text{if }}i=j.\end{cases}}}" See the referenced link.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_delta

5. Jul 19, 2016 #4
    but i m sure differential of path function is also δ

6. Jul 19, 2016 #5
    It has several meanings, like any other symbol used in maths.

7. Jul 19, 2016 #6
    hmmm...thats it....its quite confusing.....

8. Jul 19, 2016 #7
    Many thanks I thought so that it was Kronecker delta

9. Jul 19, 2016 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is impossible to give you an answer to this question without more information and context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted