Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What day this year

1. Nov 3, 2006 #1
    what day this year will the earth sun and center of our gallaxy be lined up?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2
    Never, the plane of the ecliptic is inclined about 63 degrees to the plane of the galaxy and the center of the galaxy is not at one of the nodes, therefore they will never be in a straight line.

4. Nov 4, 2006 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The center of our galaxy is in the constellation Sagattarius. So if you want to know when it comes closest, just get a star wheel, or use other means to determine what time of year Sagattarius is on the meridian at midnight or noon.

5. Nov 4, 2006 #4
    Well Giving that the top and bottom replys are true and that the 63 degrees differance doesnt count for much due to the size difference between the earth and sun vs the sun and the center then where in sagattarius is the center? Would that be if the center of the gallaxy is in the center of sagattarius and why the meridian. I'm not a student and I dont have a star wheel. Will some one bring the question up to one of there teachers and find the andswer out for me. I will be very thankful for that help

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There are a number of shareware planetarium programs out there, but according to Starry Night (it also has a shareware version), the galactic center makes its closest pass to the sun on about December 20 -- at about 6 degrees of separation.

7. Nov 5, 2006 #6
    thx bro for the help

8. Nov 5, 2006 #7
    can U give me a link where I can down load that star share wear program?

9. Nov 5, 2006 #8

russ_watters

Hmmm - looks like the trial of Starry Night isn't offered anymore. But I found this via google: http://www.maa.mhn.de/Tools/tools.html Some are pretty old, though. You could just google "planetarium software download" or "planetarium software shareware"

10. Nov 14, 2006 #9
    How do we know that when the sun makes its closes pass that the earth will also be lined up

11. Nov 15, 2006 #10

russ_watters

Because we're looking at the sun from earth.

Draw yourself a top-down picture...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?