What defines an observer for reality to exist externally?

In summary: It could be a conscious entity. So, in summary, the definition of an observer for reality to exist externally is someone who experiences something and becomes conscious of it. However, there may be different levels or states of consciousness beyond our human understanding. In the context of the forest, it is possible for the forest itself to be a conscious entity that observes its own existence.
magus niche
what defines an observer for reality to exist externally? (refer to Einstein)

personally i am not convinced an observer must have conciousness (i am not sure about how Einstein defined it). what is consciousness anyway?

i mean i believe i am consciouss, but it seems to me that there are many many levels/states of consciousness, not some generalised consciousness.

cliche: if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is present to observe it, does it occur? (something like that :wink:)
resulting question: what about the animals in the forest?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
magus niche said:

personally i am not convinced an observer must have conciousness (i am not sure about how Einstein defined it). what is consciousness anyway?

i mean i believe i am consciouss, but it seems to me that there are many many levels/states of consciousness, not some generalised consciousness.

cliche: if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is present to observe it, does it occur? (something like that :wink:)

Well, a timeless traveller (who is also a universal observer) always see everything happen at time t = 0. A Superobserver ( as I otherwise call it) conceptually exists, but in actuality that's a different matter. If such an individual were to exist in actuality, nothing should stop it from seeing leaves fall or animals run around in the forest. Think about this conceptual possibility ...who knows... it may motivate you to actualise it!

Last edited:
magus niche said:

Actually, I think the whole thing begins with the differentiation between one thing and another. If, in fact there was only one thing -- which, would in effect be nothing :wink: -- without another thing to relate to and, in effect establish a relationship with, consciousness would not evolve. In other words consciousness comes about through the complex relationship between things.

Last edited:
hmmm... :bugeye: sometimes i think too much. the question of consciousness before or after physical existence is unknowable, no? paradox with no use...

...maybe for some. but i keep searching. the utilatarian ideals of physicalism will not bound me, although i have a physical body, so i must not be confused into thinking its all in my head...

others exist and they heave heads and hearts too.

so feel free to enter this 'light' (:rofl:) discussion on whether consciousness precedes physicality. i personally believe time is eternal and so is the interplay that accompanies it.

Last edited:
magus niche said:
Yes, the tree must fall in the forest, because everything is interconnected that way. Otherwise there would be no fallen trees to observe if, perchance we were to walk into the forest.

and also (which i was hinting at in the first post) the animals and organisms in the forest are themselves observers. so the reality which is that place of forest at that time, existed due to the presence of many many observers.

the question is really, was there a time without conscious lifeforms?

and i believe this question is ultimately unknowable. i think even though someone can be enlightened, or illuminated, or scientifically knowledgeable, as a human being, it would seem a little arrogant to enforce an answer.

there are some things that can only be theorised, and i realize this now. not that theories aren't 'useful'! :wink:

Yet how can anything in fact go unnoticed? Human beings are merely witnesses. While I'm sure far more goes into the aspect of creating things than the mere witnessing of it. :wink:

Last edited:
magus niche said:

For a reality to exist an observer must experience something. When that experience happens a conscious state is known.

Analyzing human consciousness, there is many states but there also may be many other states that we just do not know humanly.

In a forest there is always someone present to observe it, did you ever consider it could observe itself?

1. What is the role of perception in defining an observer for reality to exist externally?

Perception plays a crucial role in defining an observer for reality to exist externally. Our perception of the world is shaped by our senses and how we interpret the information received by them. This perception is what allows us to experience and interact with the external reality.

2. Can a non-human entity be considered an observer for reality to exist externally?

This is a philosophical question with no definitive answer. Some argue that consciousness and self-awareness are necessary for an entity to be considered an observer, while others believe that any entity that can perceive and interact with the external world can be considered an observer.

3. How does the observer's perspective affect their perception of reality?

The observer's perspective can greatly influence their perception of reality. Our biases, beliefs, and past experiences can shape how we interpret and make sense of the external world. This means that two individuals can have different perceptions of the same reality based on their unique perspectives.

4. Is the existence of an external reality dependent on the presence of an observer?

This is a debated topic in philosophy. Some argue that the external reality exists independently of an observer, while others believe that the existence of the external reality is dependent on an observer's perception and interpretation. This is known as the "observer effect."

5. Are there any scientific theories or evidence that support the concept of an external reality?

There is no definitive scientific theory that proves the existence of an external reality. However, many scientific theories, such as the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics, suggest that there is an external reality that exists independent of our perception. Additionally, scientific experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, also provide evidence for the existence of an external reality.