Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What defines probability

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1
    If you go through my thread here
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...the-phenotypic-ratio-of-the-pea-plant.848650/
    There is a particular reason that strikes me when i go through the answers i received - it seems so that for each pea to grow into a tall plant, the possibility of such an event is 3 for 4; and the probability of the pea to grow to a dwarf one is 1 for 4...
    lets consider a similar sort of experiment, Mendel took
    Say I have a die and 5 of it's faces are painted green and the other 1 is painted yellow, and you don't know the number of faces the die has ( say ). Only by rolling the die and noting observations can you guess the number of faces a die has for X number of trails and ;
    will greater the X , more accurate the guess ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2
    Yes, the accuracy of the guess increases with the number of trials. This is what statistics is largely about, telling you exactly how (in)accurate.

4. Jan 9, 2016 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you read about the Law of Large Numbers?

5. Jan 14, 2016 #4
    nope but i'd be interested......

6. Jan 14, 2016 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

In a scenario involving probability there are no deterministic guarantees. You can't be sure the guess will be more accurate with a greater number of trials. The correct statement is that more trials implies a greater probability that the estimate ("the guess") will be accurate.

7. Jan 16, 2016 #6
    That makes it more clear
    Thanx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook