• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What degrees do you need?

• Programs
  • Thread starter ezarhadden
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,

I was just curious, what degrees do you need for theoretical physics... And also particle physicist.

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

I was just curious, what degrees do you need for theoretical physics... And also particle physicist.
What subject do you ask about? One would imagine that theoretical physics and particle physics could be related. Does the question, "Who is buried in Grandt's tomb?" give you any ideas?

It's a simple question...

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Possibly I misunderstood the level at which you mean for the question. Someone reading may be able to verify that one would need to be an expert in what you listed, either "theoretical" or "particle", but this would still be a degree in Physics. Also, it's usually the PhD person who is considered an expert in his field. In case that degree level not be necessary, then "Masters" would be the minimum degree level, but not sure if that is realistic --- which is why someone else, member reading this who knows Physics well enough could best verify.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A B.S (Bachelor of Science) majoring in physics (and I would recommend a minor in mathematics) then a Ph.D (doctor of Philosophy) or D.Sc. (Doctor of Science) with a major in Physics. (There really isn't a great difference between Ph.D and D.Sc.- really depends on the college offering the degree.)

You might want to pick up a master's degree on the way but in recent years those students who intend to go straight through for the doctorate don't bother.