What determines distance a baseball will travel when hit?

• Thread starter idek
  • Start date
As you can see, this is my first post on the forum. I'll admit right now I'm here as an "asker" and not as an "answerer"...

I realize my topic was vague, and I realize there are many factors including trajectory, pitch speed, bat material, wind, altitude, ball rotation, the bat's "sweet spot", etc. But if all those factors were identical (or as identical as they possibly could be), and only bat speed and weight varied, could I just use bat momentum as an indicator of which hits will go the furthest?

Edit: Whoops! I meant to post this in the physics thread.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Ich
Science Advisor
Hi idek, welcome to the wrong subforum.

But if all those factors were identical (or as identical as they possibly could be), and only bat speed and weight varied, could I just use bat momentum as an indicator of which hits will go the furthest?
I think the bat should be much heavier than the ball. In this case, only its speed is relevant, not its momentum.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Moderator's note: thread moved to General Physics from General Astronomy.
what determines distance a baseball will travel when hit?
The simple intro physics explanation is: the baseball's initial velocity, the forces acting on it, and it's mass. Forces would include air resistance, the bat hitting it, and gravity.
I guess a more advanced explanation would mainly involve the forces from the bat during impact.

Moderator's note: thread moved to General Physics from General Astronomy.

The simple intro physics explanation is: the baseball's initial velocity, the forces acting on it, and it's mass. Forces would include air resistance, the bat hitting it, and gravity.
I guess a more advanced explanation would mainly involve the forces from the bat during impact.

I concur to this, in order to have a accurate result you must account all factors just not momentum. But since you stated that they are all identical F=ma (like Redbelly stated) is basically your bread and butter.