Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What device am I looking for?

1. Mar 10, 2004 #1

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for general information on an inductor type device which transfers AC power to a seperate, unconnected (but nearby) inductor. If I were to try googling it, what should my searchword be?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2004 #2

Njorl

Science Advisor

Do you mean a transformer? Or possibly a resonator?

Njorl

4. Mar 10, 2004 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kinda like a transformer, but the two induction coils need to be able to be seperated.

The application is this: powered chassis, unpowered module which draws power from and can (and will) be removed from the chassis. The environment is such that plugs would not be an optimal design choice due to excessive dust.

5. Mar 10, 2004 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Unconnected" connotes "no common core" --- you can try "magnetic amplifier" --- it's a mixed bag in terms of actual magnetic amplifiers and assorted AC/DC, DC/DC, AC/AC, and DC/AC converters. You are perhaps looking for "isolation amplifiers." Trying for electrical isolation?

6. Mar 10, 2004 #5
    My electric toothbrush works like that.

7. Mar 12, 2004 #6

Njorl

Science Advisor

I have never heard the device given a name. I have used this principle, and we have always called it inductive coupling. Maybe inductive coupler is a good name.

Njorl

8. Mar 12, 2004 #7

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?