What did I do wrong in calculating the x-component of net displacement?

• Thread starter Joe91090
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a car's displacement in the x-direction after turning left at an angle of 71.6 degrees. The x-component of the net displacement can be calculated using the law of cosines, but it is not necessary as the problem can be solved by drawing a right triangle. The total x-component is equal to the initial displacement of 2.14km plus the x-component of the angled vector.
Joe91090
What did I do Wrong ??

Homework Statement

A car travels 2.14km in the x direction then turns left 71.6 degrees to the original direction and travels an additional distance of 2.58km. calculate the x component of the cars net displacement.

Homework Equations

law of cosines

The Attempt at a Solution

plugged knowns into law of cosines equations got 2.78. what did I do wrong ??

Physics news on Phys.org

Draw a picture, you should have a right triangle. There is no need for the law of cosines.

Ive drawn several pictures does it just look like a right triangle ?

Draw a line downwards from the final position to the x-axis...now do you see the right triangle?

is your first movemment to the east ?

Yes. Isn't yours?

yes then your 71.6 degrees left so does yours look acute or obtuse ?

well if your saying its a right angle it must be acute. I am still not sure its a right angle

so the answer would be the displacement from (0,0) to the tip of the other vector ?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some common mistakes that could have caused my experiment to go wrong?

There are a few common mistakes that can cause an experiment to go wrong. These include using incorrect measurements or tools, not following the correct procedure, or not properly controlling for variables.

2. How can I prevent making mistakes in my experiments?

To prevent making mistakes in your experiments, it is important to carefully plan and design your experiment, double check your measurements and procedures, and ensure that you are controlling for all relevant variables. It can also be helpful to have a colleague review your experimental design before conducting the experiment.

3. What should I do if my results are not what I expected?

If your results are not what you expected, the first step is to carefully review your experimental design and procedures to see if any mistakes were made. You should also consider the possibility that your hypothesis was incorrect or that there are other factors influencing your results. It may be helpful to repeat the experiment or consult with a colleague or mentor for additional insight.

4. How do I know if I have made a significant error in my experiment?

If you suspect that you have made a significant error in your experiment, it is important to carefully review your data and procedures. You may also want to consult with other scientists in your field for their input and perspective. If necessary, you can also repeat the experiment to verify your results.

5. Can I still publish my results if my experiment did not go as planned?

Yes, you can still publish your results even if your experiment did not go as planned. It is important to accurately report your findings and any errors or mistakes that may have occurred. This can provide valuable insights for other scientists and can also lead to further research and experimentation in the future.