Finding Unknowns in Circuits: Using Loop Rules and Substitution

• Thread starter queenspublic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem using Kirchoff's loop rules and the junction rule. There is a disagreement about the assumption that i2 = i3. It is suggested to use the loop rules first and then make a substitution to end up with two equations and two unknowns. The person also mentions that the circuit may require some complicated algebra.
queenspublic

Homework Statement

200910191819456339157318523437509945.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your calculations.

I'm not sure, what have you used to solve the problem?

Did you use Kirchoff's loop rules and the junction rule?

rl.bhat said:
Show your calculations.

20091022048356339011331534187507861.gif

Hello?

Last edited:
I don't know what you did but the assumption that i2 = i3 may not be correct.

I would do the loop rules first (the Vb -Va part you wrote) then at the last moment do a substitution i3 = i1 - i2 (assuming the same directions you chose for your current)

you should then end up with two equations and two unknowns. (the potential diff by going through left loop and the right loop.

From the looks of this circuit, this should have some annoying algebra, but I don't believe there's a better way.

So as another hint in case you still can't get it:
The loop rule is that the potential difference by going on in a loop is zero.
Going around the loop to the left, assuming the current i1 is going clockwise on the left part of loop and i3 is going up for the middle part of the circuit:

E1 - i1R1 +i3R2 -E2 -i1R1 = 0

You can get the equation for the second loop the same way.

Then you can use i1 -i2 = i3 (junction rule) to get three equations, three unknowns (i1, i2, i3)

It is important you understand how the equation resulting from the loop rule is obtained. When you move along the current across a resistor, you lose I * R in potential difference, and when you move opposite to the current, you gain I * R in current. For batteries (Emf), it's the opposite, you gain potential difference when you're moving with the battery's arrow, and negative when you're moving against (current does not matter here).

Please note this is just a trick and what is really happening in the circuit is not exact.

Good luck!

1. What are common mistakes students make when completing homework?

The most common mistakes students make when completing homework are not reading the instructions carefully, not asking for help when needed, and not managing their time effectively. It is also important to double check your work for errors and to make sure you understand the material.

2. How can I improve my grades if I keep getting my homework wrong?

A good way to improve your grades if you keep getting your homework wrong is to meet with your teacher or a tutor to go over your mistakes. Make sure you understand where you went wrong and ask for additional practice if needed. Additionally, try to establish a study routine and manage your time effectively to give yourself enough time to complete and review your homework.

3. What should I do if I don't understand the homework?

If you don't understand the homework, it is important to ask for help. This can include asking your teacher during class or after school, reaching out to a classmate, or seeking assistance from a tutor. It is also helpful to review any notes or materials related to the homework topic to gain a better understanding.

4. Why do I keep making the same mistakes on my homework?

Making the same mistakes on your homework can be a sign that you do not fully understand the material. It is important to review your work and identify where you are going wrong. Take note of these mistakes and work on understanding the underlying concept to prevent making them in the future. Additionally, consider seeking help from a teacher or tutor to clarify any confusion.

5. How can I avoid getting my homework wrong?

To avoid getting your homework wrong, it is important to read and follow the instructions carefully, manage your time effectively, and double check your work for errors. It can also be helpful to review any notes or materials related to the homework topic before starting. If you are still unsure, do not hesitate to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.