Why Did My Math Answer Get Marked Incorrect?

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, the correct solution is a straight line segment from the point (-1,-2) to the point (1,2).
UrbanXrisis
Why did I get this Math Question Wrong?

http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/IMG_0373.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is it supposed to be [0.5x], meaning ceiling? It's hard to make out on my screen

i get the same graph as you did. maybe you should ask the fella who marked you question.

I think the required answer is a straight line segment from the point (-1,-2) to the point (1,2)

if you look at the scanned image, SGT, the format implies that it ought to be ceiling(0.5x) that is plotted, not 0.5x, i think, though it is a little vague,

that symbol is the greatest integer function.

OK, I had not understood the meaning of the brackets. I think the solution is in the attached picture.

That is also not correct since 0.5*2=1, and ceiling(1) is 1, not two as your diagram shows.

matt grime said:
That is also not correct since 0.5*2=1, and ceiling(1) is 1, not two as your diagram shows.

My mistake. I was plotting y =[x], instead of y = [0.5x]. If the brackets really mean ceiling, your solution seems correct.

UrbanXrisis said:
Why did I get this Math Question Wrong?

http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/IMG_0373.jpg

I notice you have "open circles" at the left endpoint of each interval. Did you mean by that (or did whoever marked you wrong interpret that as) that point was not included in the interval? Since "ceiling" of x is the smallest integer greater than or equal to x, the left endpoint of each interval is included in the interval, but the right endpoint is not.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the most common mistake in solving math problems?

The most common mistake in solving math problems is making a calculation error, such as adding or multiplying incorrectly.

2. Why did I get the wrong answer to a math question?

You may have made a mistake in your calculations, used the wrong formula, or misinterpreted the question.

3. How can I avoid making mistakes in solving math problems?

To avoid making mistakes in solving math problems, it is important to double check your calculations, use the correct formulas, and carefully read and understand the question.

4. What steps should I take when I realize I made a mistake in a math problem?

If you realize you made a mistake in a math problem, go back and retrace your steps to identify where the mistake was made. Then, correct the mistake and continue with the problem.

5. How can I improve my math skills and reduce the chance of making mistakes?

To improve your math skills and reduce the chance of making mistakes, practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Also, make sure to carefully check your work before submitting it.