Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What did I do wrong?

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it supposed to be [0.5x], meaning ceiling? It's hard to make out on my screen

4. Sep 30, 2004 #3
    i get the same graph as you did. maybe you should ask the fella who marked you question.

5. Sep 30, 2004 #4

SGT

I think the required answer is a straight line segment from the point (-1,-2) to the point (1,2)

6. Sep 30, 2004 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if you look at the scanned image, SGT, the format implies that it ought to be ceiling(0.5x) that is plotted, not 0.5x, i think, though it is a little vague,

7. Sep 30, 2004 #6
    that symbol is the greatest integer function.

8. Sep 30, 2004 #7

SGT

OK, I had not understood the meaning of the brackets. I think the solution is in the attached picture.

9. Sep 30, 2004 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is also not correct since 0.5*2=1, and ceiling(1) is 1, not two as your diagram shows.

10. Sep 30, 2004 #9

SGT

My mistake. I was plotting y =[x], instead of y = [0.5x]. If the brackets really mean ceiling, your solution seems correct.

11. Sep 30, 2004 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I notice you have "open circles" at the left endpoint of each interval. Did you mean by that (or did whoever marked you wrong interpret that as) that point was not included in the interval? Since "ceiling" of x is the smallest integer greater than or equal to x, the left endpoint of each interval is included in the interval, but the right endpoint is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?