What did my friend's cat kill? [PIC]

• Thread starter livejamie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about identifying a mysterious animal caught by a cat. Various suggestions are made, including a mink, muskrat, Tasmanian devil, and fisher. The most likely identification, however, according to experts, is a young melanistic gray squirrel.
livejamie
I've been looking for some sort of Scientific forum to post this into see if I can get some sort of person who knows a lot about animals to help.

It doesn't seem quite right for the "Biology" section - so I'll try posting in here.

My friend sent me this picture:

LKLNY.jpg

"Okay, my cat kills rats and mice all the time, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one. Rats/mice have hairless tails, and this thing has a furry black tail, and it's about twice as big as anything else my cat has killed."

At first I thought it was a Mink or a Muskrat, but I'm pretty stumped.

He lives in Michigan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's interesting. The snout definitely looks like a rodent. The paws seem a bit large making me think it may have been a young... what ever it is.

http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/mi/course/ch2_wildlife_glossary.htm
According to this site there are Minks in the Michigan area and the picture looks similar.

It does look like an infant mink..
http://www.arkofva.com/ARK-of-Virginia-InfantAnim.html
About half way down the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
quite strange...could it be a hybrid animal?

TheStatutoryApe said:
That's interesting. The snout definitely looks like a rodent. The paws seem a bit large making me think it may have been a young... what ever it is.

http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/mi/course/ch2_wildlife_glossary.htm
According to this site there are Minks in the Michigan area and the picture looks similar.

It does look like an infant mink..
http://www.arkofva.com/ARK-of-Virginia-InfantAnim.html
About half way down the page.

that looks close to it

Looks pretty young to me, thus proportions can differ from the adult. Baby mink sounds (and looks) reasonable.

Tasmanian Devil?

Blenton said:
Tasmanian Devil?

Tails are not that long and they have more white spots. Also their legs are shorter.

whitay said:
Tails are not that long and they have more white spots. Also their legs are shorter.

... also, Michigan... :uhh:

It could also be a baby fisher. Adult fishers kill cats (as well as porcupines), so if your friend's cat doesn't show up for supper some day, don't be too surprised.

turbo-1 said:
It could also be a baby fisher. Adult fishers kill cats (as well as porcupines), so if your friend's cat doesn't show up for supper some day, don't be too surprised.

Yeah, I think this is the closest answer so far.

According to http://www.outdoor-michigan.com/Mammals.htm there's two types in Michigan, American Marten and Fisher, couldn't find any decent pictures of young ones but from the shape of the ears I'd lean towards Fisher.

Thanks for the input so far everybody, I'm glad you found it as interesting as I did. :)

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/fishers/fisher3.jpg

Baby fisher? Looks close, but the snout looks different.. Although the one that's killed looks like it's a lot younger, so it might be.

Edit: Found another pic, a little younger. Go http://www.superstock.com/stock-photography/baby+animal" and look at the 4th picture down on the left, in the (cherry blossom?) tree. It's more reddish/orange in color, but it's probably either from the season or the environment it's in. That one looks much closer, so I think a Fisher would be a correct thing to say.

Good job Turbo! :biggrin:

Kronos5253 said:
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/fishers/fisher3.jpg

Baby fisher? Looks close, but the snout looks different.. Although the one that's killed looks like it's a lot younger, so it might be.

Edit: Found another pic, a little younger. Go http://www.superstock.com/stock-photography/baby+animal" and look at the 4th picture down on the left, in the (cherry blossom?) tree. It's more reddish/orange in color, but it's probably either from the season or the environment it's in. That one looks much closer, so I think a Fisher would be a correct thing to say.

Good job Turbo! :biggrin:

Yeah, I haven't been able to find any infant pics of Fishers. Maybe its because they are so aggressive, their nests are probably hard to get to. The ears are much closer as Jamie points out. According to the info I found it is a little late for infants though. They are apparently generally born in the winter.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Yeah, I haven't been able to find any infant pics of Fishers. Maybe its because they are so aggressive, their nests are probably hard to get to. The ears are much closer as Jamie points out. According to the info I found it is a little late for infants though. They are apparently generally born in the winter.
Fishers breed in late winter and early spring with a 10-month delay in implantation. The little ones are born in the spring and raised in the summer. They are already eating meat by the time they are weaned.

turbo-1 said:
Fishers breed in late winter and early spring with a 10-month delay in implantation. The little ones are born in the spring and raised in the summer. They are already eating meat by the time they are weaned.

Ah, what I found wasn't so specific. It said they were born about 11 months later, the next winter. So I assumed they were conceived and born in winter.

I appreciate all the work and brainstorming that you guys put into our little mystery, but we were all wrong.

The overwhelming consensus from every single scientist and professor that I emailed in Michigan is that it's actually a squirrel.

One of the responses was this

Jamie

I teach mammalogy at GVSU and was forwarded your message/question from the Biology Dept.

The animal in question is a young melanistic gray squirrel, lots of local folks call them black squirrels. When squirrels are young the tail fur doesn't shoot out to the sides (giving them the typical squirrel tail we think of).

Any further questions could be directed to myself. Cheers, Prof. Joe Jacquot

When I said thanks and why it wasn't a fisher cat/marten I got this response:

The feet were the clear give away, the head shape and teeth are squirrel, not carnivore shaped. Depending on where your friend is in MI, martens and fishers may not be present any ways (but that info wasn't in the message).

So it's a satisfying end to this mystery, methinks.

Thanks again for your sluethting PFers, I think we all learned a few things. :)

Yep, look at the teeth and front paws, its a baby black squirrel.

1634298413_b518005985.jpg

robertm said:
1634298413_b518005985.jpg

Weird.

Look at the paws. Out of proportion.

Makes sense, because even though the original image is pretty soft, the claws appear to be out. Fishers' claws are retractable, like those of a cat. Still, I have a hard time imagining that a baby squirrel could be twice a big as a rat, so I had to go with a juvenile of a much larger species. Hyperbole, perhaps? Fun, anyway!

hypatia said:
Yep, look at the teeth and front paws, its a baby black squirrel.

Just saw this thread, and that was my guess when I first saw the picture. (Our cat has familiarized me with how baby squirrels look.)

I live in Michigan, I have seen an animal once that looked like this. It was like a cat with a pointy face. I didn't get a great look cause it went in the bush.

1. What is the most common prey for cats?

The most common prey for cats can vary depending on the environment and the individual cat, but some of the most frequent prey include mice, rats, birds, and insects.

2. Why do cats hunt and kill animals?

Cats are natural predators and have an instinct to hunt and kill. In the wild, this behavior is necessary for their survival, and even domesticated cats retain this instinct.

3. How do cats kill their prey?

Cats have sharp claws and teeth that they use to capture and kill their prey. They may also use tactics such as pouncing, chasing, and suffocating their prey to catch and kill them.

4. Is it normal for cats to hunt and kill animals even if they are well-fed?

Yes, it is normal for cats to hunt and kill animals even if they are well-fed. As mentioned before, this behavior is instinctual and may also be a form of play for cats.

5. How can I prevent my cat from hunting and killing animals?

To prevent your cat from hunting and killing animals, you can keep them indoors or provide them with toys and enrichment activities to satisfy their hunting instinct. You can also put a bell on your cat's collar to give their prey a warning and a chance to escape.