Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What did we dicover on Titan?

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    I know that in 2005 the Heuygens probe landed on Titan, Saturn's biggest Moon.
    What did we find out?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2007 #2
    We found out that it has a dense atmosphere. The moon is currently undergoing study by the Cassini-Huygens mission, and new information about it is accumulating, such as the discovery of liquid hydrocarbon lakes near its north pole. These are the only large, stable bodies of surface liquid known to exist anywhere other than Earth.

Titan is never visible to the naked eye, but can be observed through small telescopes (diameter greater than 5 cm) or strong binoculars. It has a maximum magnitude of +7.9, which is outshone by six asteroids (Vesta, Pallas, Iris, Hebe, Juno, Melpomene) and the dwarf planet Ceres. Titan reaches an angular distance of about 20 Saturn radii from Saturn and subtends a disk 0.8 arcseconds in diameter.
  4. May 23, 2007 #3
  5. May 25, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dig through the link neutrino provided. The Huygens probe took many photos, took atmospheric measurements during its descent to the surface, and collected data about the surface itself upon landing. Great stuff. The evidence for potential liquid hydrocarbons on the surface gets the most media attention.
  6. Jun 1, 2007 #5
  7. Jun 1, 2007 #6
    To sort of answer your question, the Cassini probe took photographs of Titan that showed lakes as large as lake Superior.
  8. Jan 7, 2008 #7

Hi everyone I'm really excited to be a part of this place. Also they found dirt on titan.
  9. Jan 7, 2008 #8
    Guess what

I like it here. I'm out here on titan blogging with you guys, isn't that cool.
  10. Jan 7, 2008 #9
    oh yeah and discover is spelled wrong.=(
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?