What did you get for Christmas this year?

In summary, my wife got a food dehydrator, some books, and a Phillips-head screw driver set from me. My aunt Clara got me pink bunny rabbit pajamas, a mandolin, and a snow shovel, rake, and screwdriver set from my folks, and new pants, T-shirts, a zippered turtleneck sweater, and several pairs of Happy Foot socks from my cousin. I got a bottle of 10 year old Talisker from my family friend.
Danger said:
Actually, I bill myself as a "Semi-Militant Atheist". My reasoning is thus: I will discuss religion with you, I will argue about religion with you — If you try to convert me, I will fall upon you like a ball of neutronium. :biggrin:
I'm not sure what that would entail, but I think that I don't want to find out first hand.

My personal credo is that if you try to convert me, then I will buy you a Big Mac and fries (with your choice of beverage of course), and if you're still adamant then perhaps multiple desserts. After that you will be as putty in my hands. (I think it's the sugar, which is more readily, and easily, manipulable than ... neutronium).

Danger said:
Unfortunately, my (lack of) belief system removes some potential fun from my realm. For instance, I love Rootx's shirt, but could never wear it. Likewise for one from my street days, which stated: "On the Eighth Day, God Created the Hemi." (Just typing that made me feel dirty... :yuck:)
The Hemi is understandably, and almost universally, revered. So you needn't feel dirty. I certainly don't -- and I love the Hemi (not just for American hotrodding and sewing, but for the world at large).

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
Likewise for one from my street days, which stated: "On the Eighth Day, God Created the Hemi." (Just typing that made me feel dirty... :yuck:)

It should! You misspelled Hemmi!

http://sliderulemuseum.com/REF/Hemmi_Process.htm

I got to spend the week before Christmas with my boyfriend, and he even got out of work early every day but one to spend more time with me. And we each made Christmas cookies. That was it. I had a quiet Christmas and no crazy shopping this year. Ember got a toy with what looked like a feather boa dangling from it...I have feathers all over the house now, but I expected that, and since she didn't knock over the tree climbing it, it's worth a few feathers.

My wife and I have a tacit agreement not to shop for one another. She broke that agreement this year, and bought me a light-weight sweatshirt, a heavier hoodie, and a box of Deluxe Junior Mints in dark chocolate. It's frustrating, because I can't get out and shop at all for her, even in low-traffic periods because of perfume problems.

She and I got a "Jaw-Saw" pruning/delimbing tool from a neighbor, who assumes (with some justification) that he and I will be sidelined because of our bad knees, so our wives will have to prune our fruit trees. Also, Duke got a $50 gift card from the place that we buy all of his dry food. Got some good neighbors.

My wife and kids surprised me with a carabiner coffee cup from Philmont Scout Ranch, one of my favourite places to go hiking and camping.

Dr Transport said:
My wife and kids surprised me with a carabiner coffee cup from Philmont Scout Ranch, one of my favourite places to go hiking and camping.
Presents that are personal and require thought and effort are the best.

Evo said:
Presents that are personal and require thought and effort are the best.

I think buying presents without thought for closer people is far more offending than just not giving any present.

I got some Lehman Brothers stock. How should I view this?

SW VandeCarr said:
I got some Lehman Brothers stock. How should I view this?
Just sign it over to me. It's not a good gift, but I will take care of it.

turbo said:
Just sign it over to me. It's not a good gift, but I will take care of it.

It's not enough to heat your house I'm sure. Are you going to use it for wallpaper? It's probably not safe for wrapping fish.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
It's not enough to heat your house I'm sure. Are you going to use it for wallpaper? It's probably not safe for wrapping fish.
I'll hold it in trust for Duke, in hopes that we can buy him some food and some tennis balls... He's a good boy, so he'll understand.

turbo said:
I'll hold it in trust for Duke, in hopes that we can buy him some food and some tennis balls... He's a good boy, so he'll understand.

Lehman Brothers stock is not only worthless, it's toxic. The land fills won't take it and the local municipality won't let me burn it because of the pollution. If I bury it, nothing will grow above it and the ground water is poisoned forever. Still want it?

Last edited:
I got a Kindle Fire and a Logitech Harmony One universal remote. I think the remote was more for my wife and kids since they don't know how to work all the stuff in the home theater without me being home.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I also got a giant hole in my wallet since my wife and I see it fit to spoil our kids.

A kidney stone, surgically removed. :bugeye:

Rhody...

rhody said:

Rhody...

You know, most people get coal when they've been bad. You must have been terrible.

I got a new bike. (top one) :biggrin:

4rql9d.jpg

Topher925 said:
I got a new bike. (top one) :biggrin:

It's so clean and shiny! What you doing to do about that? :biggrin: :devil: :biggrin:

berkeman said:
It's so clean and shiny! What you doing to do about that? :biggrin: :devil: :biggrin:
I have a few miles of trails on my property. They are steep and hilly and ridden with spring-holes. We have mud. Come on up.

berkeman said:

I've been waiting for things to either dry up or freeze. Its been way to muddy lately. : (

rhody said:

Rhody...

Cool. Relief. :cool:

I got an Acer Iconia A501 from my parents, they also helped pay for half of the lift I put in my Jeep. I asked for socks probably a month or more beforehand, and totally forgot that I'd asked, and was pleasantly surprised when I got a box full of new socks. Also got a SOG folding knife from my brother and nephews, and a few gift cards from other family members. Was a good a good Christmas indeed, even though there was no snow for the first time I can ever remember.

My wife told me that when she got her yearly bonus that she would buy me a laptop. Instead, the window-replacement guys showed up today and we are going to get replacements for the two drafty storm-windows that remain in this log house. The windows are cheaper, and will save us money in the long run. A new laptop wouldn't.

A late gift from my nephew. He must figure I've got him listed for something in my will, because at 180,000 Scoville units, I think he's trying to kill me!

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/carolinasauce_2190_3255718

Ivan Seeking said:
A late gift from my nephew. He must figure I've got him listed for something in my will, because at 180,000 Scoville units, I think he's trying to kill me!

Sorry Ivan,

Turbo and Astro especially wouldn't even begin to sweat with that stuff, the ghosts are around 1,000,000 scoville and my trinidad scorpions I am growing are around 1,400,000. That stuff is a nice way to break yourself into the hotter stuff. I know many from the far east who don't flinch after eating one of my peppers, but it has taken them a lifetime of building a tolerance to do it. Good luck and report back when you try it.

Rhody... :wink:

rhody said:
Sorry Ivan,

Turbo and Astro especially wouldn't even begin to sweat with that stuff, the ghosts are around 1,000,000 scoville and my trinidad scorpions I am growing are around 1,400,000. That stuff is a nice way to break yourself into the hotter stuff. I know many from the far east who don't flinch after eating one of my peppers, but it has taken them a lifetime of building a tolerance to do it. Good luck and report back when you try it.

You have heard of capsasin abuse, right? :biggrin:

It really isn't good for you to eat stuff that hot. The tolerance of which you speak is the death of the receptors. I used to push the limit but now refrain from anything that gets painful.

I've tried that insanity sauce before and I hated it. Its like fire in a bottle. Gave me a stomach ache for two days and I only had a few drops on a burrito.

Ivan Seeking said:

rhody said:
Sorry Ivan,

A website claims blair's ultra death sauce is 1,100,000. Some others said it is around 750,000-800,000. I had like 2 or so of that this year. I also had few other blair's mega and such.

Here's a review for insanity

and here's blair ultra:

It seems like insanity is about as hot as habanero. Habanero's quite enjoyable to have with dinner/lunch/breakfast :!)

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. What was your favorite gift this Christmas?</h2><p>My favorite gift this Christmas was a new microscope. It will greatly enhance my research capabilities in the lab.</p><h2>2. Did you receive any scientific equipment or tools as gifts?</h2><p>Yes, I received a new set of beakers and test tubes, as well as a high-tech thermometer. These will be very useful in my experiments.</p><h2>3. Were there any books or publications related to your field of study among your gifts?</h2><p>Yes, I received a few new books on the latest research and developments in my field. I'm excited to read them and learn more.</p><h2>4. Did you get any gifts that will help with your experiments or research?</h2><p>Absolutely! I received a new data analysis software that will greatly improve the accuracy and efficiency of my research.</p><h2>5. Were there any surprises in your Christmas gifts related to your work as a scientist?</h2><p>Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a gift certificate for a conference in my field of study. It will be a great opportunity to network and learn from other researchers.</p>

1. What was your favorite gift this Christmas?

My favorite gift this Christmas was a new microscope. It will greatly enhance my research capabilities in the lab.

2. Did you receive any scientific equipment or tools as gifts?

Yes, I received a new set of beakers and test tubes, as well as a high-tech thermometer. These will be very useful in my experiments.

3. Were there any books or publications related to your field of study among your gifts?

Yes, I received a few new books on the latest research and developments in my field. I'm excited to read them and learn more.

4. Did you get any gifts that will help with your experiments or research?

Absolutely! I received a new data analysis software that will greatly improve the accuracy and efficiency of my research.

5. Were there any surprises in your Christmas gifts related to your work as a scientist?

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a gift certificate for a conference in my field of study. It will be a great opportunity to network and learn from other researchers.