What Did You Learn Today? A Tradition of Daily Learning and Sharing

• Thread starter Daniel Y.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of learning and sharing new information. Participants discuss various things they have learned recently, from scientific concepts to personal discoveries. They also share interesting facts about their birthdays and how different events have happened on that day. The conversation also touches upon the excitement of learning and the possibility of having to pay a fine for a damaged library book.
Daniel Y.
Every day I would come home from school and my sister would ask me, "what did you learn today?" Sometimes I'd stammer and tell her I hadn't learned anything useful, while other days I'd happily tell her I read Phaedo or learned what an isotope is. In the 'Does your interest in learning cease at a certain age?' thread jimmysynder reminded me of this old tradition we had.

So today, tomorrow, and any day you get the chance, post something you learned. Anything from a new physics equation to a new word - whatever it is regardless of how technical or simple. I'll start.

Today I learned how to measure how big the Earth is using only the sunset when I'm laying down and when I'm standing.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi
jun 5- world environmental day

the time taken for the light to reach Earth from sun is
just ONE second

I learned that my birthday falls during National Procrastination Week. I wish I would have learned that sooner.

the time taken for the light to reach Earth from sun is
just ONE second
That's true if you're also moving from the Sun to the Earth at 99.9% of the speed of light.

Well, at least according to your clock. Astronuc's clock might disagree if he's just lollygagging on Earth.

Last edited:
I learned that the first day of summer this year is on the 21st.

Following BobG's birthday discovery I self looked into if anything interesting happened on my birthday, and indeed it did! I have the same birthday as J.R.R. Tolkien!

BobG said:
I learned that my birthday falls during National Procrastination Week.
How did get around to setting the date for that?

mgb_phys said:
How did get around to setting the date for that?

They sent out a survey asking respondents to pick a week. The procrastinators never got back to them, so they got what was left over.

*-<|:-D=<-< said:
Following BobG's birthday discovery I self looked into if anything interesting happened on my birthday, and indeed it did! I have the same birthday as J.R.R. Tolkien!

Wow! You've got a lot better birthday than me. On my birthday, Thomas Edison didn't invent the movie camera; Osama Bin Laden was born; some jerk of a boss said, "Come here, I want to see you" on the phone for the first time; the NASDAQ peaked at 5132.52 and the dot.com boom started its crash; and some scientist told me, "There's rings around Uranus."

It almost makes me embarrassed to wear a T-shirt with my birthdate (Julian date {except for leap years}) on it.

Last edited:
hai
world pie(22/7) day is march 14

Today I learned about general and special relativity, it was really exciting, I think most of the physicists when they get old, they remember times like these ~ learning new stuff.

I learn at least 10 new facts every day. But it would be too much time for me to type it all.

Cyrus said:
I learn at least 10 new facts every day. But it would be too much time for me to type it all.

Truth.

Today, I learned that the there are significant sequence homology and functional similarities between the type-II secretory system, the type IV-pilus and the archaebacterial flagellum.

AhmedEzz said:
Today I learned about general and special relativity, it was really exciting, I think most of the physicists when they get old, they remember times like these ~ learning new stuff.

I disagree. I may be a young guy myself(rising college senior), but it seems to be the greatest part about being a scientist is that there is always new stuff to learn, no matter what stage of your education your at.

Maybe I am alone on this one, but I don't get 'excited' to learn anything. I just like learning things, but I don't go 'yes, now I am learning (x,y,z)!'. I just go, 'ah, that's interesting...NEXT'.

The only time I get 'excited' is when I am able to see something working in the real world and go, 'ah, this is a _fill_in_the_blank". I know all about this. Why this was designed this way, and not that way. etc, etc. Or who designed it, and what it means.

Last edited:
Moridin said:
Today, I learned that the there are significant sequence homology and functional similarities between the type-II secretory system, the type IV-pilus and the archaebacterial flagellum.

Now that's just showing off :rofl:

The expected absolute value of the sum of the signed displacements of m random walkers after n steps is the same as the expected absolute value of the displacement of 1 random walker after n x m steps.

I learned that a truck bumper that has rotted braces on one side can have LOTS of healthy metal in the braces on the other side, requiring a lot of sawing to sever. Luckily, I have 18V Makita power tools and had a still-usable metal blade.

I learned that the bottle of water I bought from the store had a hole in it. This consequently led to the revelation that water and paper don't mix. And finally I learned that when I return this book on monte-carlo simulation to the library I may have to pay a fine. All in all it's been a pretty informative day.

maverick_starstrider said:
And finally I learned that when I return this book on monte-carlo simulation to the library I may have to pay a fine.
Maybe not. I borrowed a library book to take on a camping trip. This was when Hurricane Agnes hit. The book was partially moist and thoroughly soaked. I dried it out and brought the amazing looking thing back to the library to assess the fine. They took the book back and told me not to worry about it.

Adolf Hitler commited suicide on my birthday, a few years ealier though.

He knew you were coming.

I learned that at 51, if you drink and think going down a jello slide, which is on the top of a double decker bus, is going to be fun. That you really need to re-think what your idea of fun really is.

I learned that after 60 year parents can go nuts.

Evo said:
Adolf Hitler commited suicide on my birthday, a few years ealier though.

My mom shares Hitler's birthday.

1. What is the importance of learning something new every day?

Learning something new every day is important because it helps stimulate the brain and promotes continuous growth and development. It also allows us to expand our knowledge and skills, making us more well-rounded individuals.

2. How can learning new things benefit my career?

Learning new things can benefit your career by making you more versatile and adaptable. It allows you to acquire new skills and knowledge that can be valuable in your current job or in future job opportunities. It also shows your commitment to personal and professional growth, which can be attractive to employers.

3. Is there a specific way to make learning more effective?

Yes, there are several ways to make learning more effective. Some tips include setting specific goals, staying engaged and motivated, using different learning techniques, and reviewing and practicing the information regularly.

4. How can I incorporate learning into my daily routine?

You can incorporate learning into your daily routine by setting aside a specific time for it, using your commuting or lunch break to listen to educational podcasts or audiobooks, and seeking out opportunities to learn from others or attend workshops and seminars.

5. What are some benefits of lifelong learning?

Lifelong learning has numerous benefits, including staying mentally sharp and preventing cognitive decline, improving job prospects and earning potential, and fostering personal growth and fulfillment. It also allows us to adapt to an ever-changing world and stay relevant in our fields.