Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What distribution is this

1. Aug 27, 2012 #1
    So l generated a 100 000 data sets in Matlab each consisting of 80 random poisson distributed numbers. I then calculated the p-values for each data set and stored them into a vector which l used to make this histogram. I was wondering, what distribution is shown by this histogram

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Nyasha.

Can you outline what algorithm or transformation of the 80 Poisson distributed simulator calculated results you did?

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Just curious: what type of general techniques there are to recognize the distribution

of data? I know there are ways of comparing against a normal,but not of a way of

deciding the general distribution of some data. And yes, I know there are

goodness-of-fit tests, but this is more an after-the-fact approach.

5. Aug 28, 2012 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

if Nyasha can calculate a "p-value" then obviously he must have assumed some specific probability distribution for some statistic. If his assumption is correct, the empirical distribution he had should approximate a "probability of a probability". For example if a random variable X is normally distributed then one may define another random variable Y as: Y = the probability of the value of X that was observed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook