1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do Employers look at?

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I have been wondering about something recently. If a student finished his MSc. or PhD., would employers be interested in his past GPA's? Ex., a PhD. - would employers look at his undergrad or MSc. GPA's? Or an MSc. student who just graduated and is looking for employment would they consider his/her undergrad GPA?

Although I think I know what the answer might be, I wanted to get some answers from people who already have some experience with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on the employer.
    Typically a large company with an HR dept will have a formula - especially for graduate recruitment/entry level positions. Sometimes these are stupid and will reject a candidate with a PhD because they are aimed at new or about-to-graduate final year students and so only take into account marks upto the degree.
    Otherwise in a small company or where you are being considered by your peers the ugrad GPA will probably be ignored, where you went and your final class position/degree class would be a factor - but I would mainly be interested in the PhD area and what you had done.

4. Dec 4, 2008 #3
    I have also been wondering, if a person finishes with an MSc. and looks to employment in a company, what is the usual salary that a person starts of with? I know it depends on the job as well, but my interests lie somewhere in Biochemistry or Biotechnology. Also would an MSc. ever be able to help me reach a position similar to a PhD. at the company after some years of experience (and how many), or would it be better off getting a PhD. at school and then looking to employment?

Thanks.

5. Dec 4, 2008 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think the questions are way too general for anyone to really give you the kind of feedback you're looking for.

A Ph.D. gives you more experience in doing research. In some companies this can put you on a seperate payscale, but in all the others all they're looking for is a specific skill set which you either have or you don't.

6. Dec 4, 2008 #5
    Right. I was wondering since you mentioned that some companies look for certain skills that you have or do not. Is it true that companies may not higher someone because they might be over qualified for the job? Or is this generally in the field of science not something that is often seen.

7. Dec 4, 2008 #6
    Yes, this happens frequently. Although you will probably see this a lot less now given the current state of the economy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?