Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do I need in order to use 110V 50Hz air condition to a place which has 220v 60Hz

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    What do I need in order to use 110V 50Hz air condition to a place which has 220v 60Hz electrical system?
    Is that possible?
    If yes How?

Please help me

Thank you

Sheperd

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 20, 2005 #3
    Could it be that previous unit needded 208V (220V) and your new unit needs 120 V. If's so then you take one wire from 220 V and use it for neutral line in your new unit.

220 Volts before, 2 wires were connected to the breaker-duplex on your electrical panel, that's how you got 220 Volts. Disconnect one of those two wires and connect that wire on the Neutral bar. That's how you get 120 Volts from 220 Volts.

Pay attention to the breaker amperage, example; is it 15 Amps or 20 Amps. If you have 15 Amps but your new unit requires 20 Amps then it will be tripping your breaker all the time when you start your new unit. In such a case replace 15 A breaker and install new 20 A breaker.

I hope I did not confuse you.
    BTW I am a girl, grade 12 and in September I will be attending University, Electrical Engin eering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?