What do i need to know to build oil expeler?

• Thread starter bineyame
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Oil
In summary, a new member of the forum is seeking advice on how to build a food oil expeller as they have degrees in electrical engineering and computer science but no knowledge of mechanical engineering. They are specifically interested in extracting oil from vegetable oil seeds and are looking for pointers on the basics they need to study. Another member responds, stating that different processes may be used depending on the type of seeds and their desired end result. The original poster clarifies their intention to extract food oil from vegetable oil seeds.
bineyame
Hi all!
I am new to this forum and i know nothing about mechanical engineering.I have degrees in electrical engineering and computer science.I wish to build a food oil expeller and want to know the mechanical engineering basics i need to study before i venture on the project.Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
thankyou

Engineering news on Phys.org
not understand your question..
food oil expeler?
waste vegitable oil?
expel what?

hello Ranger mike,thank you for your reply.I want to extract food oil from ,say, vegetables oil seeds.

thanks
i am out of my area on thsi one
good luck

Welcome to PF, Bineyame.
I think that different types of processes are used depending upon the specifics of the seeds involved and what the end result is to be. Crushing them under extreme pressure, possibly with heat added, is one way. Attacking them with super-heated steam might also be effective.

question - wha t yo u going to do with the oil when you get it?

1. What is an oil expeller?

An oil expeller is a machine that extracts oil from seeds or nuts by pressing them under high pressure. It is commonly used in the food industry to produce cooking oils such as olive, sunflower, or coconut oil.

2. How does an oil expeller work?

An oil expeller works by crushing and squeezing seeds or nuts to extract oil. The seeds are fed into a chamber where a screw shaft rotates, pushing the seeds against a metal pressing plate. This creates friction and heat, which helps in separating the oil from the solid material of the seeds. The oil then flows out through small openings in the pressing plate while the solid material, known as cake, is expelled through the other end of the machine.

3. What materials are needed to build an oil expeller?

The main materials needed to build an oil expeller are a sturdy metal frame, a pressing plate, a screw shaft, and a motor. The pressing plate and screw shaft can be made of hardened steel, while the frame can be made of aluminum or iron. Other materials may include gears, bearings, and belts to power the machine.

4. Are there different types of oil expellers?

Yes, there are different types of oil expellers available in the market. The most common ones are the traditional screw press expeller, which uses a screw shaft to press and extract oil, and the modern centrifugal expeller, which uses centrifugal force to separate oil from the seeds. There are also expellers specifically designed for different types of seeds or nuts, such as those for soybeans or peanuts.

5. What are the benefits of using an oil expeller?

The main benefit of using an oil expeller is that it allows for the production of fresh and pure oils without the use of chemicals or solvents. It also has a high oil yield, meaning that it can extract a large amount of oil from the seeds. Additionally, oil expellers are relatively easy to operate and maintain, making them a cost-effective option for small-scale oil production.