What do I read next in Physics?

• Thread starter Nick M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's class layout for their engineering major and their plan to continue studying physics through self-study. They mention specific textbooks and ask for recommendations on what to read next. There is also a question about whether it is necessary to study at different levels (undergraduate, junior, and graduate) and what concepts are covered in each level. The conversation touches on the introduction of relativity in more advanced texts.
Nick M
As an engineering major, my class layout includes only Physics I & II w/Calculus (which I finished last year). I'll be taking Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics in the engineering department soon. I've got Calculus I & II and Linear Algebra finished, and will be taking Multivariate and Diff-EQ this year.

I'd like to continue with a self-study Physics plan on the side. What should I read next? I picked up Quantum Theory by David Bohm, and was going to also snag Griffiths Intro to Quantum Mechanics. Does anyone have a recommended "list" to follow? I've tried to generate one based on the Physics curriculum at my school and Amazon book reviews. I'd much appreciate some recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
For upper level undergrad E&M I suggest "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffith's

I see that people usually take Physics II (E&M, using chapters from a general physics text like I did) followed by junior level E&M (using a text such as that which you mentioned - Griffiths), and then a graduate level E&M (using a text such as Jackson).

Is this all really necessary? I understand having Physics I, II, III, and Modern, which gives a nice tasting of everything, and introduces the student to a lot of material - but are there people who then just buy the text from Jackson and have at it? I guess my question is, what sorts of things are held back in say Griffiths, and then introduced in Jackson?

Does it have something to do with relativity entering the picture?

1. What is the best book for beginners in physics?

There are many great books for beginners in physics, but one highly recommended option is "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser. It covers all the fundamental concepts of physics in an easy-to-understand manner.

2. What are some good books for understanding quantum mechanics?

If you're interested in learning about quantum mechanics, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths is a popular choice. "The Quantum World" by Kenneth Ford is another highly recommended book that delves deeper into the subject.

3. Are there any books that combine physics and philosophy?

Yes, there are several books that explore the intersection of physics and philosophy. "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene are both great options for those interested in this topic.

4. What book should I read to learn about astrophysics?

For a comprehensive introduction to astrophysics, "Astronomy: A Beginner's Guide to the Universe" by Eric Chaisson and Steve McMillan is a highly recommended choice. "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson is also a popular and accessible option.

5. What are some good books for understanding the theory of relativity?

To understand the theory of relativity, "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein himself is a must-read. For a more modern take on the subject, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene also covers the basics of relativity in an engaging way.