Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do I use for staff ferrule?

  1. Oct 6, 2003 #1
    Does anybody have any good ideas for what I can use as a ferrule for the tip of my quarterstaff? I'm looking for something metal, about 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inches in diameter. I've been looking around on the internet for something that will work, but I just can't seem to find anything of the right size.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2003 #2
    I don't know what a quarterstaff is but a trip to a hw store that sells chain link fencing will have metal fence post tops of that dimension.
  4. Oct 6, 2003 #3
    I'll try it

    Thank you for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find some of those next time I find myself in a hw store. By the way, a quarterstaff is a martial arts weapon, but can also be used to do anything that can be done with a 6 to 8 foot stick. It looks a bit like what the guy in my avatar is holding.
  5. Oct 7, 2003 #4
    I'm trying to understand the purpose. Is this decorative or is it meant to protect the end of the stall from damage when you whack things with it?
  6. Oct 7, 2003 #5
    not decoritive

    No, the ferrule isn't decoritive. It's to protect the tip from being damaged when the staff is used for walking, whacking things, etc.
  7. Oct 8, 2003 #6

    In that case I would use aluminum tubing which you could find at a metal supply yard that caters to machine shops. Possible problems are that they may have a minimum quantity that is much more than you need.

    The local one here usually has aluminum tubes of the diameter you're looking for in stock. (For a while they had some nice gold anodized ones that I remember noticing because I thought they'd make attractive displacer cylinders for little stirling engines.)

  8. Oct 8, 2003 #7
    Well if we’re crossing a river via a log bridge from opposite directions, I will deal you a blow from my halfstaff, a real man’s weapon. Afterwards, when I fish you out should I address you as Friar Tuck or Robinhood?
  9. Oct 8, 2003 #8

    GENIERE- ill bet you think you are very funny, but...
    Before you get a chance to address me as anybody, you yourself will be in the river.

    I dont think tubing will work unless the hole at the end of the pipe is covered.

    (generic face smiley to be placed here)
  10. Oct 8, 2003 #9
    It would prevent any splitting or squashing of the wood fibers. The only thing it wouldn't prevent is the wood showing at the end from getting dirty (bloodstained?).

    Are these quarterstaffs available commercially made? You may be able to order only the part you need.
    (Are you sure "ferrule" is the correct word here?). I know it is possible to order walking staffs over the web.

  11. Oct 9, 2003 #10
    Now that you mention it would keep the wood from splitting, the tubing seems like a possibility. Yes, ferrule is the correct word here. And yes, there are many places you can buy quarterstaffs. I found a company that sells a ferrule specially made for quarterstaffs, but it seems that they aren't selling them anymore.:smile:
  12. Oct 9, 2003 #11
    duct tape and tin foil

    or you could steal the cup from the blind guy selling pencils.
  13. Jun 29, 2006 #12
    http://www.coldsteel.com/whwaxwocaand.html [Broken]

    Here is one source:


    I think I am going to have to go to a blacksmith to have my ferrules made
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  14. Jun 29, 2006 #13


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

    It is great that you are so open about this, photon.
    Not many have the courage to say they have problems with their ferrules.

    I really admire you! :smile:

    Oh dear, it happened a long time ago, did it?
    Well, as the saying goes:
    Old pain is just new pain with a crust above it.
  15. Jun 29, 2006 #14


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    What is the exact diameter of the staff ends and how much tweaking of a purchased product are you willing to do?

    If you can drill some holes, I think I have a pretty easy solution.
  16. Jun 29, 2006 #15
    This reminds me of one of my favorite Daffy Duck cartoons where he says he actually has " a buck and a quarter quarterstaff". YOIKS....and AWAAAAAAAAAY!!!
  17. Jun 29, 2006 #16
    I would check with any place that does air hose assemblies. They use alum and bronze ferrules to crimp the ends onto the hoses. If you find a place near you they will probably just give them to you since they are so cheap. If you need to locate one, you can go to parker.com and click distributors and put Fluid Connectors for the category and with your zip code it should pull up a list of hose houses. May have to drive a bit, but like I said before they will just give you a couple because they are cheaper than the paper to write the ticket on.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  18. Jun 29, 2006 #17


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    It may be of interest that the original question is nearly 3years old.. I doubt that this is still a burning issue! :rofl:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook