What do I use for staff ferrule?

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
In summary: If you can drill some holes, I think I have a pretty easy solution.This reminds me of one of my favorite Daffy Duck cartoons where he says he actually has "a buck and a quarter quarterstaff". YOIKS...and AWAAAAAAAAAY!I would check with any place that does air hose assemblies. They use alum and bronze ferrules to crimp the ends onto the hoses. If you find a place near you they will probably just give them to you since they are so cheap. If you need to locate one, you can go to parker.com and click distributors and put Fluid Connectors for the category and with your zip code it should pull up
photon
Does anybody have any good ideas for what I can use as a ferrule for the tip of my quarterstaff? I'm looking for something metal, about 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inches in diameter. I've been looking around on the internet for something that will work, but I just can't seem to find anything of the right size.
Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what a quarterstaff is but a trip to a homework store that sells chain link fencing will have metal fence post tops of that dimension.

I'll try it

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find some of those next time I find myself in a homework store. By the way, a quarterstaff is a martial arts weapon, but can also be used to do anything that can be done with a 6 to 8 foot stick. It looks a bit like what the guy in my avatar is holding.

I'm trying to understand the purpose. Is this decorative or is it meant to protect the end of the stall from damage when you whack things with it?

not decoritive

No, the ferrule isn't decoritive. It's to protect the tip from being damaged when the staff is used for walking, whacking things, etc.
:wink:

Photon,

In that case I would use aluminum tubing which you could find at a metal supply yard that caters to machine shops. Possible problems are that they may have a minimum quantity that is much more than you need.

The local one here usually has aluminum tubes of the diameter you're looking for in stock. (For a while they had some nice gold anodized ones that I remember noticing because I thought they'd make attractive displacer cylinders for little stirling engines.)

-Zoob

Well if we’re crossing a river via a log bridge from opposite directions, I will deal you a blow from my halfstaff, a real man’s weapon. Afterwards, when I fish you out should I address you as Friar Tuck or Robinhood?

chuckling

GENIERE- ill bet you think you are very funny, but...
Before you get a chance to address me as anybody, you yourself will be in the river.

Zoobyshoe
I don't think tubing will work unless the hole at the end of the pipe is covered.

(generic face smiley to be placed here)

Originally posted by photon I don't think tubing will work unless the hole at the end of the pipe is covered.
It would prevent any splitting or squashing of the wood fibers. The only thing it wouldn't prevent is the wood showing at the end from getting dirty (bloodstained?).

Are these quarterstaffs available commercially made? You may be able to order only the part you need.
(Are you sure "ferrule" is the correct word here?). I know it is possible to order walking staffs over the web.

-Zooby

Zoobyshoe
Now that you mention it would keep the wood from splitting, the tubing seems like a possibility. Yes, ferrule is the correct word here. And yes, there are many places you can buy quarterstaffs. I found a company that sells a ferrule specially made for quarterstaffs, but it seems that they aren't selling them anymore.:smile:

duct tape and tin foil

or you could steal the cup from the blind guy selling pencils.

zoobyshoe said:
Are these quarterstaffs available commercially made? You may be able to order only the part you need.
(Are you sure "ferrule" is the correct word here?). I know it is possible to order walking staffs over the web.

-Zooby

http://www.coldsteel.com/whwaxwocaand.html

Here is one source:

http://www.saddler.co.uk/acatalog/Spiked_Nickel_Steel_Hiking_Staff_Ferrule_3568.html

I think I am going to have to go to a blacksmith to have my ferrules made

Last edited by a moderator:
It is great that you are so open about this, photon.
Not many have the courage to say they have problems with their ferrules.

I really admire you! :smile:

EDIT:
Oh dear, it happened a long time ago, did it?
Well, as the saying goes:
Old pain is just new pain with a crust above it.

What is the exact diameter of the staff ends and how much tweaking of a purchased product are you willing to do?

If you can drill some holes, I think I have a pretty easy solution.

This reminds me of one of my favorite Daffy Duck cartoons where he says he actually has " a buck and a quarter quarterstaff". YOIKS...and AWAAAAAAAAAY!

I would check with any place that does air hose assemblies. They use alum and bronze ferrules to crimp the ends onto the hoses. If you find a place near you they will probably just give them to you since they are so cheap. If you need to locate one, you can go to parker.com and click distributors and put Fluid Connectors for the category and with your zip code it should pull up a list of hose houses. May have to drive a bit, but like I said before they will just give you a couple because they are cheaper than the paper to write the ticket on.

Last edited:
It may be of interest that the original question is nearly 3years old.. I doubt that this is still a burning issue! :rofl:

1. What is a staff ferrule?

A staff ferrule is a metal or plastic ring located on the end of a staff or walking stick. It serves as a protective and decorative covering for the end of the staff.

2. What materials are commonly used for staff ferrules?

The most commonly used materials for staff ferrules are metal (such as brass or aluminum) and rubber. Plastic, wood, and leather may also be used.

3. How do I choose the right size staff ferrule?

The size of the staff ferrule should correspond to the diameter of the staff. It is important to measure the diameter accurately to ensure a proper fit. Additionally, consider the surface on which the staff will be used (e.g. pavement, grass, etc.) as this may affect the size needed.

4. Can I replace a staff ferrule myself?

Yes, it is possible to replace a staff ferrule yourself. However, it is recommended to seek assistance from a professional if you are unsure about the process. They can also provide guidance on selecting the right size and type of ferrule for your staff.

5. How do I care for my staff ferrule?

To prolong the lifespan of your staff ferrule, it is important to keep it clean and dry. If it becomes loose or damaged, it should be replaced as soon as possible. It is also a good idea to periodically check the ferrule for wear and tear and replace it if necessary.