What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
Men like women. Occasionally men will like girls over 18, and then become disillusioned as to the outcome of that attraction, and find a need to break stuff, grow a beard, and just disappear for a few months into the Amazon jungle. But mostly men are a dominant species who enjoy the chase, and enjoy the spoils of war. They don't stop to wonder if that is zen with their feelings, they know it is. They don't stop to wonder if it is wrong to feel pleasure in kissing a woman, caressing her, and becoming more intimate and having sex with her. They simply know they enjoy it and that is who men are. Men enjoy women, kissing women, caressing women, and having sex with said women.

What men don't enjoy is seeing a woman cry, whining, being played, being lied to, being cheated on (which is a form of lying), being used, and being made a fool out of. Anything that negatively affects men's pride and therefore their dominance, is a sign of disrespect. Its not only direspect, but it is something another man would do, and when a woman does it she evokes a natural response (anger) against her if she tries to emasculate the man. Anger leads to hatred, hatred leads to anger with a d, danger. Danger leads to a man getting back his cojones, and if its illegal then going to prison and having to live through the process again.

Physics news on Phys.org
cronxeh said:
Anger leads to hatred, hatred leads to anger with a d, danger. Danger leads to a man getting back his cojones, and if its illegal then going to prison and having to live through the process again.

I think this part belongs in the "What do psychopathic guys like in girls?" thread.

Just a weeeeee bit scary, guy.

BobG said:
I think this part belongs in the "What do psychopathic guys like in girls?" thread.

Just a weeeeee bit scary, guy.

:rofl:

You always get scared in the presence of testosterone? :biggrin:

Intelligence, honesty (not only in the "don't lie" sense, but in the social interaction sense), relaxation (i.e. not taking everything too seriously), flexibility (the world isn't set in stone), and self-distance.

Those are the most obvious things I can think of. As for visual appearance that's more of a bonus than anything else, but I'd rather not date someone who's obese, for a large number of reasons, not all of them shallow.

MissSilvy said:
It's interesting that the 'what do girls like in guys?' threads rarely get past two pages, but this one just doesn't seem to want to die. Maybe no one's every asked men what they like, or am I completely off the mark?
Because there are mostly males on this forum so they can discuss among each other about the issue while the other topic haven't reached the critical mass of posters to get a constant discussion going.

I'm going to be honest. The first thing I look for is beauty. The last thing I probably look for is intelligence. And a million other things in between. What does intelligence even mean in the practical sense? On a day to day level? I once dated a med student. Thinking about her at this very moment stirs up a lot of feelings. What are some of the things I remember most about her? Her intoxicating scent, the nape of her neck, certain jokes that no body else got but me and her, that sly all-knowing smirk of hers, our love for pretentious foreign movies, the ways our eyes would lock, the stupid and silly things we did together, a flood of memories that makes my heart race and... ultimately break ): .I can't say that her intelligence is what I cherished most.

What arouses my interest in general, not requisites of course:

• personality-wise: intelligent, really passionate about something, honest (no talking smack around a person's back), not cynical
  • physical: freckles, not too big (length-wise), blonde, a beautiful smile, boobies

What's always interesting about these threads is that all people assume that what people say in these threads is actually true, especially what they themselves say. We should all know by now that people may say they seek X in a partner, in reality they don't. People say they like 'nice people', but they always get jerks in the end and only realize this after the relationship.

As far as most people go, I guess it goes more like this: 'I like him because he tells me what I want to hear.' or 'I love her because she's the only girl who's ever shown any interest in me even though I would consider her unremarkable if more girls did so.' or 'I met this guy when I was having the best day of my life and I subconsciously connect him to that feeling and translate that into love.', the Homo sapiens sapiens, he is the master of deluding himself with all sorts of things to cover up the less-than flattening reality.

But sure, I'll join you people, what I think I like most importantly is people that aren't out to control how others live their lives, and with that I mean I mean 'moral decadence'-type crusades. I also like it if people are honest with themselves and aren't too scared to admit that they have no reason for certain opinions and don't try to find one. If some one says 'I don't have a rational argument, the only reason I believe this is because I was raised to believe it, just like you.' I'm practically in love already. I also like it of people are good listeners and have a talent to observation.

And of course, this is what I say and think, and mostly it's hardly true.

mr. vodka said:
What arouses my interest in general, not requisites of course:

• personality-wise: intelligent, really passionate about something, honest (no talking smack around a person's back), not cynical
  • physical: freckles, not too big (length-wise), blonde, a beautiful smile, boobies

For me height would be a good thing, seeing as I'm 6'3". As for boobies...I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't take that into consideration as a physical characteristic.

Lancelot59 said:
For me height would be a good thing, seeing as I'm 6'3". As for boobies...I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't take that into consideration as a physical characteristic.

Lol, but I don't just mean the presence, but also the state they're in, ya'know.

As for length, I'm not small, I'm 6', but I just seem to have a thing for smaller girls -- not midgets though.

Damn I feel like I'm saying awkward things :P

ZQrn said:
What's always interesting about these threads is that all people assume that what people say in these threads is actually true, especially what they themselves say. We should all know by now that people may say they seek X in a partner, in reality they don't. People say they like 'nice people', but they always get jerks in the end and only realize this after the relationship.
People have a tendency to 'settle' for less than their ideal either knowing that they are unlikely to find their ideal or just too lonely to care at the moment. It doe snot necessarily mean that they are not actually attracted to the type of person they say they are. I think that there are also many people who say that they are attracted to certain characteristics because they feel they are supposed to say that they are. For instance how many people are likely to post in this thread saying that they would like a submissive partner who will do as they are expected? Despite there being a rather large percentage of the population that prefer this sort of partner most people will not admit it and some may not even admit it to themselves (as you note).

Lancelot59 said:
Well if you are looking for a female I would imagine that 'boobies' would be on the checklist considering that females tend to have them.

mr. vodka said:
Lol, but I don't just mean the presence, but also the state they're in, ya'know.

As for length, I'm not small, I'm 6', but I just seem to have a thing for smaller girls -- not midgets though.

Damn I feel like I'm saying awkward things :P
I like short women too. And freckles. Throw in some glasses and red hair and I go weak in the knees.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I like short women too. And freckles. Throw in some glasses and red hair and I go weak in the knees.
ask and ye shall receive...
You might want to sit down...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/windybug/3361234519/
:biggrin:

TheStatutoryApe said:

I will remember this the next time I need a favor from you.

DaveC426913 said:
ask and ye shall receive...
You might want to sit down...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/windybug/3361234519/
She is pretty cute. I once picked up a girl at a bar with four (yes four) bright coppery braided pigtails, freckles, glasses, and a demeanor that reminded me very much of http://partyalaska.com/Rental_Costumes/LADIES/mary_katherine_gallagher.jpg... lust at first sight I tell you.

Char. Limit said:
I will remember this the next time I need a favor from you.
Would you like a first born child?

Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
She is pretty cute.

Meh ... 4.5 out of 10 maybe.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Would you like a first born child?

Depends. Can't stand children at 0-4 years old. Quite annoying, to be honest.

But I'd much rather have money.

DanP said:
Meh ... 4.5 out of 10 maybe.

That is what I'd call a two-bagger. I need to wear a bag over my head just in case one over her head tears.

cronxeh said:
That is what I'd call a two-bagger. I need to wear a bag over my head just in case one over her head tears.

Quoted for truth.

...last time I ever post a pic of my sister on PF...

hahahaha

DaveC426913 said:
...last time I ever post a pic of my sister on PF...

No offense intended, I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I had no idea she is you little sis, if she really is :P

DanP said:
No offense intended, I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I had no idea she is you little sis, if she really is :P

DanP said:

A little too much Chlorine in that gene pool

"Here's another self portrait. I'm an only child, so I find ways to amuse myself."

Mandark said:
"Here's another self portrait. I'm an only child, so I find ways to amuse myself."

She has a brother that posts her picture on the internet for people to make fun of. Wouldn't you deny his existence?

I'd be happy to meet a girl that would be satisfied by the simple things in life: a warm summer night, a bottle of wine, a telescope, and some good tunes.

BobG said:
I'd be happy to meet a girl that would be satisfied by the simple things in life: a warm summer night, a bottle of wine, a telescope, and some good tunes.

So... no sex?

Office_Shredder said:
So... no sex?

Sex is just a meaningless physical sensation...

Char. Limit said:

and love is just a meaningless emotion.

AUK 1138 said:

Touché! :smile:

It is not meaningless. In the grand scheme of your existence it is the only meaning. To be alive is to be able to feel physical contact and love. Without that you have a defective brain and should not be able to propagate

AUK 1138 said:
Love is nature's way of tricking us into reproducing.

cronxeh said:
It is not meaningless. In the grand scheme of your existence it is the only meaning. To be alive is to be able to feel physical contact and love. Without that you have a defective brain and should not be able to propagate

Who is this addressed to specifically? Char or Auk? I believe that Auk was actually being sarcastic.

Evo said:
I always had to ask the nerdy guys out myself. I would just go up to them and ask "where are you taking me Friday night?" It always worked. You will find that nerdy guys will answer a direct question.

radou said:
If this ever happens to me with a girl, I think I'll mary her. 3 X Horray for a women's initiative! :smile:

Amen! :biggrin:

Char. Limit said:

That is nearest and dearest to most peoples hearts thereby giving it meaning :approve:

cronxeh said:

Propagate? Like a wave?