Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do the polar bodies formed in oogenesis do?

1. Apr 16, 2004 #1
    What do the polar bodies formed in oogenesis do?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2004 #2
  4. Apr 17, 2004 #3
    thanks a lot that makes sense, but surely such an useless production (the polar bodies) would be eliminated during the course of evolution!?

5. Apr 17, 2004 #4

FZ+

There are no certainties in evolution. Wait a few million years and see...

6. Apr 17, 2004 #5
    Aye, if they aren't hindering reproduction, there is nothing really selecting against them. Gary, I presume you are a male. What do your nipples do?

7. Apr 17, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first polar body is formed, because the oocyte needs to get rid of 23 chromosomes that were produced during mitosis, and thus goes through the first asymmetrical meiotic devision.

The second polar body is formed when the primary oocyte has to get rid of the duplicated chromosome that is still attached to the original chromosome, so it goes through the second asymmetrical meiotic division.

The meiotic divisions are asymmetrical, since the embryo-to-be, needs as many nutrients as it can get (the egg is the largest cell in the body).

So the polar bodies definately have a function, to take out the excess of genetic material with the least loss of nutrients.

The following image shows what actually is happening with the chromosomes
    [​IMG]

8. Apr 18, 2004 #7
    Yes I am a male :cool:

And thanks a lot Monique, it was difficult to find the uses of the polar bodies
    :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?