What do the numbers in the table represent for the transformation of fields?

In summary, The numbers in the table represent the values assigned to different fields in the Dirac Lagrangian under local transformations of the groups U(1), SU(2), and SU(3). These numbers, known as hypercharge, the third column in the table, are arbitrary and cannot be deduced. Similarly, the first and second columns represent the values assigned to fields under transformations of the groups SU(2) and SU(3), which also have arbitrary choices for their representations.
HerrBlatt
Homework Statement
Here is a table summarizing all left handed particles/ antiparticles. I don't know the relationship between these numbers and the Fermi field. What kind of character does it describe?
And if I only know the first and second column, how can I calculate the third?
Relevant Equations
No Equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The numbers are telling you what representations should you use to transform the fields. Let's see an example:
As we know the Dirac Lagrangian can be written as $$\mathscr{L}=\bar{\psi}\left(i\partial_\mu\gamma^\mu-m\right)\psi$$. Is easy to see that under a local transformation of group ##U(1)##, ##\psi'=e^{igY\theta}\psi## the Lagrangian is invariant. But note that ##Y## is an arbitrary number (a diagonal matrix if you work with more than one field). So for each field, you can assign a different value of ##Y##. That's the Hypercharge and it's the 3rd number of your table, and it's an input of SM, you cannot deduce it.
For the first two numbers is the same idea, imagine that, instead of one field you have two (or three) fields with the same mass, then you can write the Dirac Lagrangian as
$$\mathscr{L}=\begin{pmatrix}\bar{\psi}_1&\bar{\psi}_2\end{pmatrix}
\left(i\partial_{\mu}\begin{pmatrix}\gamma^\mu&0\\0&\gamma^\mu\end{pmatrix}-\begin{pmatrix}m&0\\0&m\end{pmatrix}\right)\begin{pmatrix}\psi_1\\\psi_2\end{pmatrix}$$
Now the Lagrangian is invariant under transformations of the group ##SU(2)##; $$\psi'=S\psi \qquad S=e^{ig_W\vec{T}\cdot \vec{\theta}}$$. But ##S## can belong to any representation of ##SU(2)##, so again we have an arbitrary choice of ##\vec{T}##. And that's what the second column of you table tell you. For those that transform with the trivial representation (1) ##\vec{T}=0\Longrightarrow S=I##, but for those that transform with the fundamental representation (2) ##\vec{T}=\frac{\vec{\sigma}}{2}## where ##\sigma## are the Pauli matrices. The same can be done with ##SU(3)##.

1. What is the significance of these numbers?

The significance of these numbers depends on the context in which they are being used. They could represent data, measurements, statistics, or other information that is relevant to a particular study or experiment.

2. How were these numbers obtained?

These numbers were most likely obtained through a scientific method, such as observation, experimentation, or data analysis. The specific method used will vary depending on the research being conducted.

3. Can you explain the meaning of these numbers in layman's terms?

As a scientist, I can provide a technical explanation of these numbers, but it may be difficult to understand for someone without a background in the field. It would be best to provide a simplified explanation or analogy to help the layperson understand the meaning of the numbers.

4. How do these numbers contribute to the overall understanding of the topic?

These numbers are essential in building a comprehensive understanding of the topic being studied. They provide evidence and support for theories, help identify patterns and trends, and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field.

5. Are these numbers reliable and accurate?

As a scientist, I strive to ensure that all data and numbers used in my research are reliable and accurate. This is achieved through rigorous testing, peer review, and following established standards and protocols. However, it is always important to consider potential sources of error and limitations in any study or experiment.