• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What do these symbols mean?

• Thread starter BrainMan
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I have been reading a lot about physics and equation that look like the photo I attached. What do the brackets and the EXP mean?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

Answers and Replies

I cannot see the attached image, however, if you mean something like this: [itex] \exp (x) [/itex] that is just the exponential function, so [itex] \exp(x) = e^x [/itex]

It's just a more convenient way of representing the function when its arguments start to get complicated

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The brackets are just that- a way of indicating a separate calculation, no different from parentheses.

I cannot see the attached image, however, if you mean something like this: [itex] \exp (x) [/itex] that is just the exponential function, so [itex] \exp(x) = e^x [/itex]

It's just a more convenient way of representing the function when its arguments start to get complicated

The brackets are just that- a way of indicating a separate calculation, no different from parentheses.

Here is a better picture ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1407259101.931582.jpg
If someone could write it without EXP that would be great so that I know what you guys are talking about.

The exp() notation is useful though if you are writing an expression in some programming languages such as Java where

Code:
double x = 3.2;
double y = Math.exp(x);       // refers to the e^x math function
For more general exponentiation then:

Code:
double x =3.2;
double y = 4.3;
double z = Math.pow(x,y);     // for x^y math function

Last edited:
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
##I = C_1 + C_2 G - C_3(e^{\frac {V} {C_4T_{cc}}} - 1) - C_5(e^{\frac {V} {C_6T_{cc}}} - 1) - \frac {V} {C_7T_{cc}}##

##I = C_1 + C_2 G - C_3(e^{\frac {V} {C_4T_{cc}}} - 1) - C_5(e^{\frac {V} {C_6T_{cc}}} - 1) - \frac {V} {C_7T_{cc}}##
Where are you getting the e? Is that euler's number?