What do those envelopes mean next to the thread subject?

In summary, the envelopes next to the thread subject indicate the status and level of activity of the thread. Different colors represent different levels of activity, and a star indicates a favorite thread. The color of the envelopes cannot be changed by the user, and a closed envelope means the thread has been read while an open envelope means it is unread.
Security
What do those envelopes mean next to the thread subject??

What do those envelopes mean next to the thread subject. what are their meanings?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to check with other mentors myself but:

If they are grey and closed, then there are no new posts in that thread. If they are open and lit up, then there are new posts. If there is a black dot, then you have posted a response on the thread. If there is an orange dot, then it is "very busy".

The envelopes next to the thread subject typically indicate whether the thread is read or unread. A closed envelope usually means that the thread has not been opened or read by the recipient, while an open envelope means that the thread has been read. This helps users keep track of which threads they have already read and which ones they still need to read. Some messaging systems also use different colored envelopes to indicate whether the thread is new or has new replies. Additionally, some platforms may use envelopes with arrows to show that the thread has been forwarded or replied to. Overall, the envelopes serve as a visual cue to help users manage their messages more efficiently.

1. What do the envelopes next to the thread subject indicate?

The envelopes next to the thread subject indicate the status of the thread. An open envelope means the thread is unread, while a closed envelope means the thread has been read.

2. Why are there different colored envelopes next to some thread subjects?

The different colored envelopes indicate the level of activity in the thread. A gray envelope means there have been no new replies, a blue envelope means there have been new replies, and a red envelope means there have been new replies from the thread owner.

3. Can I change the color of the envelopes next to the thread subject?

No, the color of the envelopes is predetermined by the platform and cannot be changed by the user.

4. What does a star next to the envelope mean?

A star next to the envelope means the thread has been marked as a favorite by the user. This allows for easy access to frequently visited threads.

5. How do I know if I have already read a thread?

If the envelope next to the thread subject is closed, it means you have already read the thread. If the envelope is open, it means the thread is unread.