Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do Vegans Feed Their Cats?

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    I am genuinely curious about the position of PETA advocates and hard-line vegetarians towards the cat/dog food industry. Is there some alternative 'more ethical' way of feeding your pets than by indiscriminately purchasing popular animal foods.

I read in wiki article on cat food that vegan cat food can be harmful to their health. I have often said that any emotional attachment we develop towards one organism is always at the expense of another. How do vegans incorporate the proper care of pets into their ethical scheme?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2
    Snakes too. It'd be tough to get a snake to eat a tomato.

4. Sep 9, 2008 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard that some of the super radical animal rights folks don't believe in owning pets.

5. Sep 9, 2008 #4
    what do they do then? hire pets?

6. Sep 9, 2008 #5
    I've always wondered if vegans will get blood tests, throat swabs...ect done if their doctor requests them. Do they know about the use of animal antibodies, blood agar plates ect? I've never seen them raise that as an issue. I think its kind of funny because I'll bet they all do get the tests done and think nothing of it.

Anyway that was a bit off topic but I agree with MIH, I think the hardcore ones don't believe in having pets.

7. Sep 9, 2008 #6
    Vegans don't get sick. why would they need tests done?

8. Sep 9, 2008 #7
    I think a smart vegan would feed their cat whatever it needed to survive. They would recognize that his/her own beliefs shouldn't be forced onto another species; since it can mainly be argued that humans do not require animal products to survive. The same argument cannot be made for a cat (or so i was lead to believe. Something about taurine and they need it to live.

9. Sep 9, 2008 #8

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anyone here heard of animal cruelty charges for improperly fed animals? A cat would not eat veggies and would probably search for new owners, cats always shop for better owners, my cat has been missing for a year and I suspect that he has found greener pasteurs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  10. Sep 9, 2008 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Sure - you can always pay a cat with food.

11. Sep 9, 2008 #10
    its okay for cats and dogs to eat meat. theyre 'animals' and its in their nature and their instincts. because apparently humans are excluded from being 'animals' and dont have instincts. survival of the fittest, i say!
    oh and here is what i think about loud mouth vegans

[​IMG]

hope i didnt offend anyone haha

12. Sep 9, 2008 #11
    If god didn't want us to eat animals, they wouldn't be made of meat!

13. Sep 9, 2008 #12

Defennder

Homework Helper

I have witnessed pet dogs of some my relatives eat vegetables and fruits. And I don't mean veggies/fruits mixed with meat, just veggies/fruits alone. And no, I don't think the dogs were starving.

14. Sep 9, 2008 #13

Evo

Vegetarian diets do not work for cats, vegan should be completely avoided. Please, if you have a cat, do not put it on a vegetarian diet.

http://www.catinfo.org/

I used to have a better source, but lost the link.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  15. Sep 9, 2008 #14

Defennder

Homework Helper

How about dogs? Can they survive on veggies?

16. Sep 9, 2008 #15

Evo

Yes, dog's digestive systems are able to digest vegetables better than cats.

17. Sep 9, 2008 #16

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Grain fed mice.

18. Sep 9, 2008 #17

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I imagine that dogs desire meat more than humans - meat is an important part of their happiness ; not quite certain about whether the desire to hunt and kill is as innate as simply consuming meat. Quite frankly , most dogs are miserable since they spend their lives confined inside homes ; people need to go out of the house to roam and dogs also need this , so why is it that a lot of people are not able to understand this need? It's simply very akward and an unusual form of cruelty for an animal with primal wirlderness survival instincts to be kept inside a house. My neighbor has two dogs confined outside within a space close to that of a bedroom , they have moved to another location , however the dogs are still there. Every once in a while - once a week - they visit and presumably feed and clean up after the dogs , yet every single day for at least a year now , the dogs live their existence within that small parameter at an obscure corner wall of a subdivision cul de sac. It's isolated from everything , they have nothing but each other.

Happiness is the key word here. If vegans really cared for animals they would be concerned about their overall wellbeing of their dogs. If dogs could communicate with humans , they would state

I NEED MEAT

There was something on an ABC news special which documented several people who were physically perishing over their belief in a vegan diet , it was more specific ... a raw food diet of some sort. If these people are able to influence each other to kill themselves over dogmatic beliefs than I would not be surprised if they were compelled to starve their pets.

19. Sep 9, 2008 #18

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Snakes eat eggs.

But then that raises the whole thing about whether life begins at conception.

20. Sep 10, 2008 #19
    I eat meat. PETA takes some extreme positions. It is a shame that the press acts to thwart efforts toward the ethical treatment of animals by focusing on those extremes. Does anyone think that we don't need to treat animals ethically because PETA is extreme? While we must kill them in order to eat them, we do not need to torture them before we kill them.

Here is their position on pets. It doesn't mention diet specifically, but it does imply that they should have the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior.
    PETA on pets.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  21. Sep 10, 2008 #20
    I let my pets have the run of the house and they can go outside whenever they want. well, they used to. Turns out fish should be kept confined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?