What are some staple foods for vegetarians?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses vegetarian diets and offers suggestions for staple foods, favorite dishes, and protein sources. Some recommended dishes include mushroom and zucchini pasta, chickpea curry, and Indian flatbreads. The conversation also touches on the use of meat substitutes and the availability of vegetarian options in different regions.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
What do vegetarians eat??

I'm a vegetarian now, and I don't know what to eat! :blushing: I haven't eaten meat for a long time; I had been eating poultry and seafood. But no more. I'm still eating dairy products and eggs.
What are some staples in a vegetarian's diet? Once I get familiar with some of the basics, I can experiment. I'm mostly concerned about nutrition.
Any favorite dishes? I'm up for just about anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the simple answer is this:

Go back to eating meat.

Eat chicken and fish. They don't count.

You can try and eat algae o:)

I don't like seeeeweeed much. :yuck: Bleh!

I don't know what you this in ze english but I'll try to explain... There's this grinded soy bean stuff that you soak in water and then can use it just like you'd use minced meat. I'm not a vegetarian but I still use it a lot since it's cheap as dirt.

Here's one good recipe:

Teh most awesomest mushroom dish

1. Slice up some mushrooms and zucchini and give them some colour on the frying pan
2. Dump creme fraiche and pesto sauce on top of the mushrooms and zucchini and mix the ingredients
3. Serve with pasta.

Simple and yet extremely tasty.

Mmmm sounds good, if I liked that kind of food... or knew what creme fraiche was.

Creme fraiche sounds like a french pastry doesn't it?

It's kind of like cooking cream but nothing like it. My vocabulary and dictionary are lacking in cooking terms..

I don't know what vegetarian food is available in your region, but here in India people of my community are usually vegetarians. So I can tell you what we eat:

Bread, butter(OR jam, etc) and milk serve as a good breakfast. Honey is also eaten, but I don't like it so much. Of course, then there is the roti(or chapati). [For the ignorant, this is somewhat like flour wetted, shaped into a circle and cooked]. Parathas also do[this is flour shaped into triangles, usually also stuffed with potatoes, onions, etc]
For vegetables, we have potatoes, ladyfinger, brinjal, etc. Fruits, also find a place.
I hope this was helpful

inha said:
I don't know what you this in ze english but I'll try to explain... There's this grinded soy bean stuff that you soak in water and then can use it just like you'd use minced meat. I'm not a vegetarian but I still use it a lot since it's cheap as dirt.
Tofu? Or miso? I don't even know what the difference is.
Here's one good recipe:

Teh most awesomest mushroom dish

1. Slice up some mushrooms and zucchini and give them some colour on the frying pan
2. Dump creme fraiche and pesto sauce on top of the mushrooms and zucchini and mix the ingredients
3. Serve with pasta.

Simple and yet extremely tasty.
Mmm, that does sound good- I looove mushrooms. Thanks.

honestrosewater said:
I'm a vegetarian now, and I don't know what to eat! :blushing: anything.
You can eat anything that is not meat! :confused: o:)

To get your proteins you should include beans in your diet, I love chickpeas. Cook those with tomatoes, onion and indian spices such as coriander and cumin. Finish with freshly cut coriander.

Also include tofu and tempeh, I just fry those with/out spices.

Don't try to replace the meat! I don't like it when people try to use meat-substitutes. A meal can be wholly complete without it, I haven't missed it a day. The only time I have a craving, is when I see those chefs on t.v. cook up some succulent meat.

If you really don't know what to do, buy some Indian cookbook. They have an excellent vegetarian kitchen.

ssj5harsh said:
I don't know what vegetarian food is available in your region, but here in India people of my community are usually vegetarians. So I can tell you what we eat:

Bread, butter(OR jam, etc) and milk serve as a good breakfast. Honey is also eaten, but I don't like it so much. Of course, then there is the roti(or chapati). [For the ignorant, this is somewhat like flour wetted, shaped into a circle and cooked]. Parathas also do[this is flour shaped into triangles, usually also stuffed with potatoes, onions, etc]
For vegetables, we have potatoes, ladyfinger, brinjal, etc. Fruits, also find a place.
I hope this was helpful
Yes, thank you. Fortunately, just about everything that can enter the US is available to me. How do you cook your breads? I think I could handle flatbreads on a regular basis. It takes all day- and a lot of kneading- to make my grandmother's bread.

honestrosewater said:
How do you cook your breads? I think I could handle flatbreads on a regular basis. It takes all day- and a lot of kneading- to make my grandmother's bread.
Why would you have to cook your own bread as a vegetarian? I love parathas, they are a side-dish with dinners, I use them instead of a fork. Just fry them in a little oil until crispy.

Monique said:
You can eat anything that is not meat! :confused: o:)
Yeah, just joking.
To get your proteins you should include beans in your diet, I love chickpeas. Cook those with tomatoes, onion and indian spices such as coriander and cumin. Finish with freshly cut coriander.

Also include tofu and tempeh, I just fry those with/out spices.

Don't try to replace the meat! I don't like it when people try to use meat-substitutes. A meal can be wholly complete without it, I haven't missed it a day. The only time I have a craving, is when I see those chefs on t.v. cook up some succulent meat.

If you really don't know what to do, buy some Indian cookbook. They have an excellent vegetarian kitchen.
Okay, chickpeas, tofu, and Indian cookbooks are on the list. I'm used to eating lots of fruits, veggies, and grains; It's the beans, legumes, and such that I'm not familiar with. I've tried some things with soy products without much success (except for soy milk in my coffee). I won't try to replace meat. Thanks :smile:

Monique said:
Why would you have to cook your own bread as a vegetarian?
I wouldn't- I just enjoy cooking and think I could have fun experimenting with breads.

Look to the culture of a country where vegetarianism is a very popular, even predominant part of the lifestyle. India is probably not the only one, but it's the one I'd recommend, being the most familiar with it. There're a *lot* of vegetarian recipes originating from India, both the South and the North, and many others from other geographical regions as well. I'm Indian, 30 years of age, and I've been lactovegetarian my whole life. No malnutrition to show for it either, I'm 6' 1" and umm...pretty overweight to boot. ;)

Try these sites, there are others, and when you're done with the recipes there, I'll recommend others :

http://www.syvum.com/recipes/ivrindex.html

http://www.recipedelights.com/indianvegdishes.htm [Broken]

Good luck, and you have my wholehearted support. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! lentils are really good too, you will find lot of recipes in Indian cookbooks.

I can recommend you some books: the following is just absolutely wonderful, beautiful pictures, background information and recipes:

This book is cheaper, most recipes of the previous on are also in here

This book contains recipes from Asian kitchens, thus not only Indian

I bought them at Barnes and Nobles for a bargain of $6, I'm not sure if you'll still find them there :)

Wow, this all sounds delicious. I can't believe I was worried about not having enough variety! Those will keep me busy for a long time, thank you. Mm, I'm getting hungry now. :tongue2:

Yeah, just go to an Indian store and get a collection of spices. Cumin, coriander, garam masala, jeera, mustard seeds, curry, cinnamon, cardamom. I like to add yoghurt (the thick variety) to my dishes, it makes a wonderful sauce. Add some sugar if it is too tangy.

I think you will do fine, you'll find that much more variety is possible without meat! :biggrin:

since chick peas were mentioned... FALAFELS! goddamn falafels are good.

falafels are wonderful! And you can buy a kit that's all natural {Near East brand} that makes it so easy. And of course there's hummous!
You can also freeze tofu..thaw it{it changes it texture} slice it thin, bread it and fry it. Crunchy snacks you can dip in marinara, or ranch.

I had falafel for the first time the other day. I was utterly impressed. Though it pains me to say it, it was almost as good as meat. :smile:

Okay, falafel too. Thanks.

Indian food is the best thing to eat if you are a vegetarian..!... I have been a vege all my life...and God I am healthy!..try out some sites for Indian foood...Google it!

Mk said:
Well, the simple answer is this:

Go back to eating meat.
exactly...I never understood why anyone becomes a vegitarian

honestrosewater said:
Thinking whales are fish is understandable, but thinking they're plants... Or were you joking?
He's Norweedish, that should explain it all. :biggrin:

yomamma said:
exactly...I never understood why anyone becomes a vegitarian
You don't have to understand, just accept that it is their choice.

I do love Indian food as well. It's definitely a tasty cuisine and a healthy way to be vegetarian.

And don't get me started craving falafel! :grumpy: I love those. I like them wrapped up in a pita with that sauce on them...darn...what's that sauce called?...anyway, I think I'm addicted to that sauce. :approve:

I could never be vegetarian. I don't plan my meals far enough in advance to account for things like soaking beans overnight.

Moonbear said:
I could never be vegetarian. I don't plan my meals far enough in advance to account for things like soaking beans overnight.
I've found that the soaking isn't necessary. All those years of soaking then one day I had a craving and just boiled them right out of the bag and found I couldn't tell the difference. You just need to cook them a bit longer.

Diet for a small planet is a great one to start your vegetarian adventure with. It explains a lot about how to get the protein you need in your diet, without resorting to meat.

This is getting to be an old book, but I'll bet the basic principles is discusses are still valid.

the only reason I can think of to become a vegitarian is if you hate plants

Quoting Toadie from Neighbours:

"If God had wanted us to be vegetarians, cows would be plants".

brewnog said:
"If God had wanted us to be vegetarians, cows would be plants".
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks, Nogger! This thread was beginning to depress me. I'm feeling a real need to go out and kill something for lunch.