What are some staple foods for vegetarians?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses vegetarian diets and offers suggestions for staple foods, favorite dishes, and protein sources. Some recommended dishes include mushroom and zucchini pasta, chickpea curry, and Indian flatbreads. The conversation also touches on the use of meat substitutes and the availability of vegetarian options in different regions.
Portobello mushrooms and eggplant are both satisfying meat replacements.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a vegetarian, but portobello mushrooms are one of my favorites. I cook them up like steaks with liver and onions and garlic in a butter sauce. I guess the liver would be no good for a vegetarian, but pasta or eggplant would be okay. I love fried mushrooms.

I never used to like mushrooms, but Huck's right. You can fry them up with a load of garlic and butter, with a dash of parsley, and if you're feeling really adventurous, some lemon juice. And falafel really is that good, I was almost ashamed of myself to admit that the first time round.

But you just can't beat a big juicy steak which bleeds, and I've never been to North America so I probably don't even know what a proper big juicy steak even looks like.

This probably isn't the best thread to mention the hog-roast I'm trying to plan, but Danger, you're more than welcome to come!

brewnog said:
This probably isn't the best thread to mention the hog-roast I'm trying to plan, but Danger, you're more than welcome to come!
Best offer I've had all day!

honestrosewater said:
Thinking whales are fish is understandable, but thinking they're plants... Or were you joking?
No, I was just trying to subvert your lofty ideals:devil:

Don't mind me and my eating habits though; as Evo has said, I'm just a Norwegian barbarian (i.e, hobbit according to Huckleberry).

Not too many vegetarian vikings? Plundering & pillaging all the vegetable gardens... :tongue:

Yes, I love mushrooms. One of my favorites: I guess you can do this with any mushroom that will work (the cap needs to be bowl-shaped)- small to medium sized would be best. Remove the stems (discard or reuse), clean caps and place upside down on a baking sheet. Fill the caps with parmesean, a little olive oil or butter, add salt, pepper and whatever else you like to some bread crumbs and sprinkle on top. Broil for, eh, I never paid attention- 15 minutes maybe- until bread crumbs brown. Be careful when you eat them- they're juicy! mmmmm.

Evo said:
Not too many vegetarian vikings? Plundering & pillaging all the vegetable gardens... :tongue:
They save the cattle for raping... (They're not all that far away from Wales, you know.)

arildno said:
No, I was just trying to subvert your lofty ideals:devil:

Don't mind me and my eating habits though; as Evo has said, I'm just a Norwegian barbarian (i.e, hobbit according to Huckleberry).
Do you really eat whale? Regularly or special occasion? What does it taste like?

Sure I eat whale; it is excellent barbeque meat, for example.
It is rather expensive, though.

Danger said:
They save the cattle for raping... (They're not all that far away from Wales, you know.)
As you probably know, there was an abundance of sheep in Norway, so the didn't have to raid for them; instead, the Vikings began sheep-breeding on the Orkneys and Shetland Islands..