What do we know about the mind?

• Thread starter Ajith Prasanna
  • Start date
It's two vastly different approaches, two different foci.
What do you mean by "foci?" If there's no brain, there's no mind, this is not hard to put together. I don't think you're helping to understand the connection by drawing an artificial distinction between the two.

The mind arises from the brain, yes, but "mind" is a separate concept from "brain".
Again, this smacks of a paradoxical statement. You can play a video game and get immersed in it's realism (as in the Oculus Rift I plan to scam out of someone as a demo unit because $600 is way too much to shell out commercially, especially because I have to buy a new Geforce 970 to run it and the new motherboard I bought only has two USB 3.0 ports and now Oculus is saying I need three USB 3.0 ports, but I digress:redface:), but that doesn't mean that the interface of the video screen or VR helmet is something distinct from the movement of the electrons on the circuit board representing the manipulation of the binary code. This is the distinction you are trying to draw here and I'm not convinced with your argument.

When I mentioned someone who is afraid of spiders, I meant someone with a real phobia, specifically of spiders, as opposed to other dangerous situations and animals. I used to know a girl who would walk boldly around alone late at night in dark neighborhoods, but she was deathly afraid of earwigs.
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say here, but it seems to me you are making a classic "category error" or "category mistake":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake

"The term "category-mistake" was introduced by Gilbert Ryle in his book The Concept of Mind (1949) to remove what he argued to be a confusion over the nature of mind born from Cartesianmetaphysics. Ryle alleged that it was a mistake to treat the mind as an object made of an immaterial substance because predications of substance are not meaningful for a collection of dispositions and capacities."

You are mistaking what the psychology of the mind appears to be from what it actually is.

Evo
Mentor
We lost the Op 2 pages ago.