Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News What do we think?

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    I get my news from Fox.com because it's my preferred form of biased media. Anyhow, I just found this article that I found interesting: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/15/students-ordered-stop-praying-outside-supreme-court-building/

It brings up some questions. Should public prayer ever be suppressed? And, wtf was that police officer thinking?

I don't expect the police to know what every single law of the land is. I expect them to utilize some common sense about what is and isn't a crime. Apparently, common sense to this officer was that public prayer is against the law near the courthouse. Where does this come from?

Provided it's not infringing on the rights of another somehow, like preventing them access to a location, or possibly creating some kind of danger to those around (some religions might have some crazy prayer rituals), how could someone see a prayer circle as a prohibited activity?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2
    Considering I just saw a chaplain give an opening prayer on the floor of congress today on CSPAN, my guess is he's wrong.

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wouldn't they need a permit to gather and hold a peaceful demonstration? As long as they are moving, they wouldn't be loitering. Sounds like loitering at a minimum.

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4
    I so want to know the flak this cop is getting over this...

Even if it's just among his fellow officers. LOL!

But, my point being, where does this come from?

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5
    Is it a demonstration? Technically?

7. Jul 15, 2010 #6
    Wow. Just insane. Courthouse rent-a-cop?

8. Jul 15, 2010 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a dolt. Apparently he doesn't understand the difference between government-sponsored prayer, and freedom of speech.

9. Jul 15, 2010 #8

Evo

Don't forget that the officer may have just told them to move along, because gathering like that may not be allowed. Are we no longer questioning over hyped news articles?

10. Jul 15, 2010 #9
    So, standing in a circle is not allowed on a public street?

11. Jul 15, 2010 #10

Evo

Depends on the laws for gathering and loitering.

Plus, they were gathering on the property of the Supreme Court?

We don't really know what happened since we only have the group's interpretation.

12. Jul 15, 2010 #11
    Sounds to me like they were on a sidewalk.

13. Jul 15, 2010 #12

Evo

Doesn't sound like it to me. I'm surprised that people are jumping to conclusions.

14. Jul 15, 2010 #13
    I don't think the news provides sufficient details other than that they were on the Supreme Court property and second that they carried on with their prayers without any interruptions after leaving Supreme Court.

15. Jul 15, 2010 #14
    See the above post.

16. Jul 15, 2010 #15
    IN A GUTTER! :rolleyes: If they were on the sidewalk, and not disrupting the flow of pedestrian traffic in any way, they have done nothing wrong. If they were on SC land, they could be asked to leave and continue on elsewhere. But if they were asked to leave SC land, wouldn't everyone have to be asked to leave SC land if they were talking to someone?

17. Jul 15, 2010 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See article below - it was written by the teacher in the incident above. In it, she describes the incident at the SC, and another similar incident at the White House, and draws parallels with these and Nazi Germany! Nice!

http://www.sonorannews.com/archives/2010/100616/frntpg_WCA_Praying.html

Yeah, she did a Godwin.

18. Jul 15, 2010 #17
    Damnit, why can't religious people keep their mouth shut and quit giving us a bad name. I don't go about crying foul whenever someone makes fun of Catholics.

19. Jul 15, 2010 #18

Evo

Kalam, they moved to the sidewalk AFTER the officer told them to move.

20. Jul 15, 2010 #19

Evo

As I figured, they weren't told that they couldn't pray, they were told that they couldn't gather there.

21. Jul 15, 2010 #20
    Arguement withdrawn, although it does say they have prayed there before without incident.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook