1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you call:

  1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    I'm doing revision for next semesters exams and I ran across this:


    Specifically formula no.8. I've seen it before but can't find it in my notes, I forgot what splitting

    [tex]{\frac {d z}{d\theta}} [/tex]

    on either side of the equals sign was called. But I do remember being warned not to think that it is just division.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    That is "separating" the differential. What you have is a "separable" differential equation and you separated the variables.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook