1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you guys think?

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    Hi, i was just wondering, considering the courses you take as an undergrad, which courses must one have in order to fall in one of these categories:
    0. A poor background in math
    1. A fairly good background in math
    2. A really good background in math
    3. An impressive bacground in math,

Here i mainly mean what courses would one put in one of these categories? Regardless of how much one learned from them, that's another issue.

That's probbably a silly question but, it was just popping into my head over and over.

THanx in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2
    No input whatsoever?
  4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    0=no math
    3=math major

Depends what you need the math for. Most engineering disciplines require only calc 1-3, Diff Eq, and Lin Algebra. If you have those then you are in good shape.

Your question is a little vague.
  5. Sep 28, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

(A) My experience is that descriptive message titles promote more replies.

(B) You said yourself, it's a silly question. Particularly when you say that it doesn't matter how much one learned from them. If someone sits through a class and doesn't learn anything, I am not impressed.
  6. Sep 28, 2008 #5

Science Advisor

0. did not take a course in which Rudin was required (or at least that's what my maths friends tell me...)
  7. Sep 28, 2008 #6
    Well, with this i was trying to emphasize only the fact concerning the nr. of math courses you take, because of course it matters how much you learn.

Like, say someone you have no idea who he is, tells you that i have had this, this and this course in math as an undergrad, what would your reaction be: like well, that's nothing; hmmm that sounds good; or wow that's a really good deal?

SO, regardless of how much he/she has learned, i was only trying to solely focus on the nr of courses, cuz your grades, tests, etc will show how much you really studied and how muc.h you understood the matter

8. Sep 28, 2008 #7

Forgott to mention, i am a math major, freshman,yet!
    So my question, reformulated would be: Which courses a math major must take to fall into one of the categories i listed on my 1st post?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?