What do you know about arabs and muslims?

• Thread starter moamen811
  • Start date
In summary: This is a discussion forum, not a source of information. We are not here to reinforce the wrong information that is already out there. Do not post anything before the summary.

OmCheeto said:
Do not question the authority of the PhysForum dieties! Or thou willest be banned thyself!

(Cyrus gets banned every other week for some reason or other. We Plebians(artistic language license) have gotten used to it. He probably told a mentor that they were stupid or something. It is of course conjecture on we Plebians parts.)

it'll be long two weeks for him, hang on there Cyrus:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org

rootX said:
But, that is obviously wrong regardless of how you look at it or which culture you are from. It is not worse than rape or murder but is equivalent.

Going naked in public doesn't break any common ethics/morals (i.e. don't hurt others - which are independent of cultural preferences) ..

You think that because you are a Westerner.

wildman said:

Right so what you're saying is where someone comes from determines the quality of life they get? There is nothing you could say to me that would make beating your wife acceptable. I understand that in other parts of the world, that sort of thing is acceptable, but it doesn't make it right.

I have been to dubai and the arabs there were exceptionally nice people. As people have already pointed out, it is the extremist groups that taint the western view of muslims, but again as people have pointed out, arabs are not all muslims. So to put them in the same group is unfair. I have not met and extremist muslim, those I have met are all nice people.

mgb_phys said:
It's unfair competition...

All I was saying is that I don't believe that the majority of westerners would make the first assertion "ALL muslims are terrorists." Maybe the assertion that I proposed, but certainly not the original.

I see a vast stereotype that "westerners sterotype muslims and arabs".

wildman said:

If I can kill people because my culture allows so, then you need redefine culture (what exactly a culture means). I can simply come up with some absurd thoughts and call it my culture. And if someone thinks I am wrong I would simply reply "because you are not from culture"

There are a few insignificant cultural differences such as honor killing.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/uncategorized/egyptian-farmer-hangs-decapitates-daughter-in-honour-killing_10052707.html"

Abdel-Samad no longer had to hide in shame after restoring his good name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is this also a cultural difference?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8119201.stm

Villagers, many straight from their farms, and armed with machetes, sticks and axes, are shouting and crowding round in a big group in Kenya's fertile Kisii district.

"US appoints envoy to Muslim world"
It must be so simple to be a politician.
There is an evil empire (except Russia and China - who are now our friends) and an axis of evil (can't remember who paid their dues this month).
Now you can have a single ambassador to handle everywhere from Turkey to Singapore, Nigeria to Dubai.

Phrak said:
There are a few insignificant cultural differences such as honor killing.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/uncategorized/egyptian-farmer-hangs-decapitates-daughter-in-honour-killing_10052707.html"

Abdel-Samad no longer had to hide in shame after restoring his good name.

Ouch. So is that an Ahrab thing, or a Muslim thing? (Don't know if the correct term is "culture" -- sorry.)

Last edited by a moderator:

berkeman said:
Ouch. So is that an Ahrab thing, or a Muslim thing? (Don't know if the correct term is "culture" -- sorry.)

This is arab culture going back a long long long way before Mohamid entered the scene. I'm looking for the historical reference...

Last edited:

mgb_phys said:
It's unfair competition.
We were official suppliers of terrorism to the British government for over 400 years, organised a civil war that killed 3500, made an entire province un-governable and had the army tied up for 40 years and all the thanks we get is a law saying prince Charles can't marry a catholic.

Blah blah blah what have you done for me lately? Terrorism isn't something you can just do when you want to, it's a lifestyle choice.

It is a general belief that in sexually repressive cultures where men tend to be isolated from the women there is a high probability that they will engage in homosexual behavior. I do not know that this true but it is a fairly common idea.

There is also a common idea that men who tend to be homophobic are sexually repressed gays themselves. At one time I think this idea was asserted seriously but currently it tends to be brought up as a joke or insult toward the homophobic.

Men are "more" isolated when it comes to women they don`t know. A muslim man/woman can have sex with his/her man/woman freely.

Making men/women more opened to other men/women without standards/rules can lead to what usually happens in non-muslim countries, such as, sex with non-wives, pregnancy when its totally not wanted, and so on..

Some (or more than some, I can`t judge) muslims are overly isolated, which surely generates homosexual problems. and this isolation is not required in Islam (I think its even taboo/prohibited, but I`m not religous to determine)
Actually I already live in a muslim society, and I rarely/seldomly see overly isolated people.

One thing I hope is that foreign countries stop making sexual contents highly available in internet, because this breaks what the rules in my country are for..
when a 13-year-old teenager open google and search for something non-sexual and then opens a website that unexpectidely shows sexual contents, this will generate a lot of problems to the child.

Last edited:

I have many Arabic friends, some are new to the USA, others have stemmed from as many as 10 generations in the USA. The religion varies from Muslim, Christian and several who are Wiccan.
For some of the best Middle Eastern food, come visit Michigan.

But, that is obviously wrong regardless of how you look at it or which culture you are from. It is not worse than rape or murder but is equivalent.

Going naked in public doesn't break any common ethics/morals (i.e. don't hurt others - which are independent of cultural preferences) ..
It does, if a teenager guy sees a women naked in street, it wouldn`t be nice at all..
and teenager guys are not ready for sex.

Its an arab thing, and for sure Islam treates these killers just like any other killers.

Many pointed out that Arabs are not Muslims.
Right, but another thing to be mentioned is that Arabs are mostly muslims.
a third thing to to be mentioned is that many muslims are away from Islam.

Honor killing is not exclusive to Arabs or Muslims. It happens in Asian and African (non-arab and non-muslim) societies, and to some extent in the US, e.g., in street gangs and some criminal groups like the Mafia.

I'm puzzled by the focus on negative attributes with the respect to the OP. If the question had been about the US or UK or Europe, would the discussion focus on social problems/ills and criminal statistics or would the focus be on achievements?

wajed said:
It does, if a teenager guy sees a women naked in street, it wouldn`t be nice at all..

1)
Only a problem if parents don't provide (or allow schools to provide) sex education to the children.
2)
Watching someone naked != sex

Phrak said:
Between what and what?

Between west and ...

I was also trying to point out that if these negative values are really part of culture. If they are, how long they can keep their culture alive with these practices. One one option is to restore to extremism to protect their culture as some Muslims are doing IMO.

1)
Only a problem if parents don't provide (or allow schools to provide) sex education to the children.
Sex education is not enough.

How many kids do NOT know that injections are good? but how many tend to stop the doctors to give it to them?

Who doesn`t know that drugs are bad? even if you really educated some drug dealers/takers, it will hardly help them. They will need something to really stop them.

2)

Watching someone naked != sex
If I saw a naked woman I`m sure my thing will get as straight as the street is.
If I saw many naked women, and for many times, I`m sure I`ll try to have sex with them. so this leads to sex. and as much I see naked women, as much I`ll try to have sex with them.
You may feel that this doesn`t make sense to you, but one reason could be that you already released your inhibitions.

wajed said:
If I saw many naked women, and for many times, I`m sure I`ll try to have sex with them. so this leads to sex. and as much I see naked women, as much I`ll try to have sex with them.
You may feel that this doesn`t make sense to you, but one reason could be that you already released your inhibitions.

I oppose this view. People are not animals (all people) and those who take excuses like you mentioned, should receive proper punishment. Sadly, some men take excuse of others to justify their actions such as harassment (which gladly the government is opposing now).

wajed said:
How many kids do NOT know that injections are good? but how many tend to stop the doctors to give it to them?

I don't know. Do you?

Really? That's a bit weird.

I'm not sure that anyone's advocating everyone running round the streets of a city naked, are they?

wajed said:
No - it's an indication of lack of maturity. If I encountered a naked person in the street, then I would seek help - and try to find some clothing.

It has nothing to do with releasing inhibitions as it has to do with self-discipline and self-restraint - a mark of one's maturity.

One thing I hope is that foreign countries stop making sexual contents highly available in internet, because this breaks what the rules in my country are for..
I don't think it's countries that post sexual content. Just individuals.

wajed said:
If I saw many naked women, and for many times, I`m sure I`ll try to have sex with them.

Why is that?

"I don't know. Do you?"
you probably don`t need to know how many "tend to stop the doctors to give it to them?", it wasnt a question to get u answer me some number. it was to get you answer yourself that "aha, many many many children tend to.."

and in case you are really asking for a number:
Do you count how many salt molecules you put on your food?
but I think you can know if its a bit salty, salty enough, or too salty.

I don't think it's countries that post sexual content. Just individuals.
These individuals live in countries, and these are mostly western countries.
well, let me correct the word "western" to "foreign" because westerns are not the only non-muslims.

No - it's an indication of lack of maturity. If I encountered a naked person in the street, then I would seek help - and try to find some clothing.

It has nothing to do with releasing inhibitions as it has to do with self-discipline and self-restraint - a mark of one's maturity.

Well, I first posted:

"maturity" you mean sexually, or maturity in brain? (I`m not english to determine)
If its the later, then I`m talking about teenagers.

Edit:I`m a teenager.

Last edited:

Why is that?
Because, as a male, seeing b**bs and pu**ies and a**es, harden my thing.
I could control myself for once and for a second -- e.g. I could close my eyes, but as they are exposing their stuff repeatedly, this will make it harder and harder for me to control myself.

It is only natural to be naked, a situation with nudity is not necessarily a sexual situation.

Also just because you have an erection does not you have to engage in sexual activities.

I mean animals walk around naked and don't have sex all the time, why should we?

*-<|:-D=<-< said:
It is only natural to be naked, a situation with nudity is not necessarily a sexual situation.

Also just because you have an erection does not you have to engage in sexual activities.

I mean animals walk around naked and don't have sex all the time, why should we?
It is not (a sexual situation), but it leads to sex, specially when talking about teenagers.

It doesn`t, but it attacts me... and it makes me more "want to"
A woman naked is not like a woman wearing bikini,
A woman wearin bikini is not like a woman wearing more clothes,
and they all are not like a woman wearing "Jelbab".

you know, I may like sex less than you, but its a desire in all of us. Even these teenagers who have girlfriends and tell them "I love you" and so on.. many of them do sex with their girlfriends! (they should be the last people to do it, 1)its not the right age 2)they are even not random people, they care for each other most, they should control themselves most as they know it hurts their girlfriends)

Last edited:

It's somewhat unnatural to inhibit your sexual desires. Why would you not want to have sex with many beautiful(half naked) girls(in case they want it too)? Is this a Koran thing(sorry i have only a vague idea of your religion but i remember that you are allowed to have 4 women over there)?

wajed said:
Well, I first posted:

"maturity" you mean sexually, or maturity in brain? (I`m not english to determine)
If its the later, then I`m talking about teenagers.

Edit:I`m a teenager.
Maturity or development of one's mind. My parents taught me early, when I was about 11-12, about human sexuality. But then I had already kissed girls.

My parents also taught me to help people in need and not to take advantage of others.

And this discussion is way off topic - again. Please stick to the topic, which is what one knows about arabs and muslims.

It's somewhat unnatural to inhibit your sexual desires. Why would you not want to have sex with many beautiful(half naked) girls(in case they want it too)? Is
I want to, it doesn`t mean I`m allowed to.
I can be allowed to if I marry her.

this a Koran thing(sorry i have only a vague idea of your religion but i remember that you are allowed to have 4 women over there)?
you are allowed up to 4 women. I think they should all agree, I don`t know much about this.

Cheating on your woman, and having sex with another woman, can lead to a lot of problems.
If you really want to have sex with a second woman, you are allowed to, but marry her; after this you are not cheating, and you are not getting a woman pregnant while she doesn`t really have a husband (to care of his children and so on..).

This is not what its all about, but we all agree that having 2 women is better than having one and cheating on the another.
If you got a better solution, please provide.
and please notice that:
1) being able to have 4 women doesn`t mean you should it.
2) having 4 woman is not simply like stating that "you can have up to 4 women", no, there are some rules, some reasons, and some requirements for this to be true.

wajed said:
I want to, it doesn`t mean I`m allowed to.
I can be allowed to if I marry her.

you are allowed up to 4 women. I think they should all agree, I don`t know much about this.

Cheating on your woman, and having sex with another woman, can lead to a lot of problems.
If you really want to have sex with a second woman, you are allowed to, but marry her; after this you are not cheating, and you are not getting a woman pregnant while she doesn`t really have a husband (to care of his children and so on..).

This is not what its all about, but we all agree that having 2 women is better than having one and cheating on the another.
If you got a better solution, please provide.
and please notice that:
1) being able to have 4 women doesn`t mean you should it.
2) having 4 woman is not simply like stating that "you can have up to 4 women", no, there are some rules, some reasons, and some requirements for this to be true.
Polygamy and infidelity are not unique to arab and muslim populations/societies. :rolleyes:

Maturity or development of one's mind. My parents taught me early, when I was about 11-12, about human sexuality. But then I had already kissed girls.

My parents also taught me to help people in need and not to take advantage of others.
So, you were never out of control, but people are not alike; rules are there to prevent those who can`t stay in control from doing what they should not do.

running naked in the street is not really a big issue.
its really easy to not "walk naked" in the street!

but its really hard for some/many to get this as if it was nothing at all. (specially teenagers)

Last edited:

wajed said:

You are advocating for women sexual harassment/rape..

You may feel that this doesn`t make sense to you.

Yes that is nonsense. So, let's stop it.

Polygamy and infidelity are not unique to arab and muslim populations/societies.
1)I don`t defend ANY arab thing.. (I`m not against them, but I don`t defend them)
Arabs before Islam used to do many things that are totally bad.

2)Even muslims may cheat, but they get punished;
Polygamy is a solution, its just a better situation (much much better than cheating)
If you got your abnormal desires, and your woman agrees that you have another wife, and you do all what is required, then this is pretty much better than cheating.