What do you know about hypnosis?

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
In summary, hypnosis is a state of heightened focus and concentration that can be used to help individuals gain control over undesired behaviors, cope with anxiety or pain, and improve overall well-being. It is typically done with the help of a therapist using verbal repetition and mental images. Contrary to popular beliefs, individuals do not lose control over their behavior during hypnosis and generally remain aware of their surroundings.
geoffrey159
For christmas, my wife offered a collective gift to my niece, my nephew, and myself: a ticket for a famous hypnosis show we desperatly wanted to see. The show in itself was absolutely incredible, fantastic. At the end, the artist, who knows that the public is split between absolute wonder and distrust, decides to involve the huuuuge audience in an attempt of collective fascination. We all follow his instructions, but no effect on us (sighs), except for my niece who feels a little sleepy (and bored) but that's all. The test goes on, a sizeable portion of the room is completely spellbound, but we feel a little bit disappointed. Until my wife tells me that my niece has fallen asleep on her shoulder. Okay, she is 16, it's not the first time nor the last time she will have inappropriate behavior. At this moment, the artist commands to people that are under his influence to rise up and to start dancing and playing 'heavy metal' music. And what happens ? I see my niece, who is the most private and shy person on earth, lonely standing up before this huge audience, starting to wave a fictitious guitar in every direction, wildly shaking her head like the craziest hard rock fan, and playing guitar as if she was James Hetfield himself. I can't recover from this event, convinced once and for all of the reality of what is called hypnosis. But I keep wandering ' What is it exactly that I have witnessed ? '

So, what do you know about it, what happened ?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two or three major theories.

I'm curious if you asked your niece what she experienced.

Yes I asked, she said she knew what she was doing but that she could not resist from doing it. But the first thing we noticed is that she had difficulties 'waking up'. She was very tired after it.

I was referred to a hypnotherapist last year, from a gastroenterologist at the hospital as a treatment of my severe nausea. The DHB kindly paid for 4 sessions at $120 each session. When I saw him for the first time, he decided to tackle my anxiety (which would cause the nausea).

The hypnosis he used was not what is usually seen on TV. I did feel much better after sessions 2 - 4. You can find out what he does in this video

It's interesting, but what is exactly that 'force' that can force a ~50 years old man, overweight furthermore, to act like a kangaroo eating fictitious peanuts thrown at him for 15 minutes ? Have you ever tried to jump for 15 minutes ? It's hard ! Do you know how it works ?

Here is an explanation from the Mayo Clinic. Any other claims, such as what you describe, are too speculative for the forum.

Hypnosis, also referred to as hypnotherapy or hypnotic suggestion, is a trance-like state in which you have heightened focus and concentration. Hypnosis is usually done with the help of a therapist using verbal repetition and mental images. When you're under hypnosis, you usually feel calm and relaxed, and are more open to suggestions.

Hypnosis can be used to help you gain control over undesired behaviors or to help you cope better with anxiety or pain. It's important to know that although you're more open to suggestion during hypnosis, you don't lose control over your behavior.

Contrary to how hypnosis is sometimes portrayed in movies or on television, you don't lose control over your behavior while under hypnosis. Also, you generally remain aware of and remember what happens under hypnosis.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/hypnosis/basics/definition/prc-20019177

1. What is hypnosis?

Hypnosis is a state of focused attention and heightened suggestibility, where an individual is more receptive to suggestions and can experience changes in perception, thoughts, and behaviors.

2. How does hypnosis work?

There is no single agreed-upon explanation for how hypnosis works. It is believed that during hypnosis, the conscious mind is temporarily bypassed, allowing direct communication with the subconscious mind. This can facilitate changes in beliefs, habits, and behaviors.

3. Can anyone be hypnotized?

Most people can experience some level of hypnosis. However, it depends on the individual's willingness and ability to relax and follow instructions from the hypnotist. People who are highly skeptical or resistant to the process may have difficulty entering a hypnotic state.

4. Is hypnosis safe?

Hypnosis is generally considered safe when practiced by a trained and qualified professional. However, it is not recommended for individuals with certain mental health conditions, such as schizophrenia or severe dissociative disorders, as it may exacerbate their symptoms.

5. What can hypnosis be used for?

Hypnosis has been used to help people with a variety of issues, including smoking cessation, weight loss, anxiety, and chronic pain. It can also be used in therapy to uncover and address underlying beliefs and behaviors that may be contributing to psychological or emotional problems.