What do you like about Pre-Cal?

• Thread starter jamondperry
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Pre-Calculus and the speakers' opinions and experiences with the subject. One speaker mentions enjoying Pre-Calculus less than Calculus, but regaining interest in math during their senior year of high school. They also mention a book by Euler that covers infinite series in Pre-Calculus. The other speaker shares their perspective on math in general and recommends finding a good book on the subject.
jamondperry
What do you like about Pre-Cal? How do you feel about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
eulers precalculus book is superb.

I liked pre-calculus less than I like calculus. I'd have to say my interest in math was dwindling, but at the end of my junior year in high school it peaked back up, and calculus my senior year interested me a lot.

eulers book treats infinite series in precalc.

jamondperry said:
What do you like about Pre-Cal? How do you feel about it?
Sorry, what are you asking? If it's about high school math, I felt fortunate that I had motivated teachers with an AP track (many years ago). If it's about math in general, you need to learn to relax, and focus. Just like all of your other challenging subjects.:biggrin:

are you asking abut the subject or the cousre you are in? i had a great course right before calc, but iot was not called precalc. we learned logic, boolean algebra, some groups, cardinality of infinite sets, algebra, probability, combinations and permutations, and a little analytic geometry.

if yours is boring and useless, io recommend getting a good book, like analyse infinitesimal by euler, or mine, principles of mathematics by allen doerfer and oakley.

What do you like about Pre-Cal?

1. What makes Pre-Calculus an important subject to study?

As a scientist, I find Pre-Calculus to be an important subject because it provides the foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in scientific research.

2. How does Pre-Calculus differ from other math courses?

Pre-Calculus is a continuation of Algebra and Geometry, but it focuses more on trigonometry and introduces students to the concept of limits and derivatives. It also requires a higher level of abstract thinking and mathematical reasoning compared to other math courses.

3. What do you find most challenging about Pre-Calculus?

The most challenging aspect of Pre-Calculus for me is applying the concepts to real-world problems. It requires a lot of practice and understanding of the underlying principles to be able to solve complex and multi-step problems accurately.

4. How does Pre-Calculus prepare students for higher-level math courses?

Pre-Calculus serves as a bridge between high school math and college-level math. It introduces students to topics such as limits, derivatives, and vectors that are essential in calculus and other advanced math courses. It also helps develop the necessary skills and mindset for tackling more complex mathematical concepts.

5. What advice would you give to someone struggling with Pre-Calculus?

My advice would be to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or peers whenever needed. It's also important to understand the concepts rather than just memorizing them. Additionally, breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable steps can make them easier to solve.