1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you mean by direction cosine

1. Mar 6, 2006 #1
    what do you mean by "direction cosine"

i've just came through this term, and may someone please help clarify what does it mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you project a unit vector down on your chosen set of axes, then the direction cosines are the length of the projection along each respective axis.
  4. Mar 6, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a vector, v, in 2 dimensions, makes angle [itex]\theta_x[/itex] with the x-axis, then cos([itex]\theta_x[/itex])i+ sin([itex]\theta_x[/itex])j is a unit vector in the same direction as v. If [itex]\theta_y[/itex] is the angle that vector makes with the y axis, then [itex]\theta_y= \frac{\pi}{2}- \theta_x[/itex]) so sin([itex]\theta_x[/itex])= cos([itex]\theta_y[/itex] and that unit vector is cos([itex]\theta_x[/itex])i+ cos([itex]\theta_y[/itex])j.

Similarly, if a vector, v, in 3 dimensions, make angle [itex]\theta_x[/itex] with the x-axis, angle [itex]\theta_y[/itex] with the y axis, and angle [itex]\theta_z[/itex] with the z-axis then a unit vector in the direction of v is cos([itex]\theta_x[/itex])i+ cos([itex]\theta_y[/itex])j+ cos([itex]\theta_z[/itex])k.

Those are the "direction cosines" of the vector or line in the direction of the vector. Equivalently, if v is a unit vector in a given direction, its components are the direction cosines for that direction- its components are the cosine of the angle it makes with the corresponding axis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?