Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you need to do to get an avatar/icon?

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1

Mk

What do you need to do to get an avatar/icon? It seems like you either need to pay, or have 1000+ posts. User Andre for instance has no things by his name like "science advisor" or "mentor" or any "awards," (though he should) and his name is not in gold/yellow. But he DOES have 1000+ posts. I think any paying user can use an avatar if they wish to, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2
    I've got one, but that's because I joined before the whole contributor deal...

4. Sep 25, 2005 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you looked at your posts lately? You don't have an "awarded" avatar, just a thumbnail picture of someone with an obscurely Belgian appearance.

5. Sep 25, 2005 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Avatars aren't awarded. Dimitri has an avatar because he's HOT and super smart. :!!) :!!)

He also has one because before PF solicited contributions, members could have avatars. When Greg made the change to where an avatar was one of the perks for contributing, he allowed all existing members with avatars to keep theirs.

6. Sep 25, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At least until they attempt to change it...I had one before they changed the rules, but the moment I tried to change it to a new avatar, the option went away and I couldn't even get my old one back until I started contributing (and then couldn't find my old one again). :grumpy:

7. Sep 25, 2005 #6

JamesU

Gold Member

premium memberships are really cheap.

<<<you could do some things for a certain contributer and he/she might just talk to greg really nicely.... :devil:

8. Sep 25, 2005 #7
    there are many other places where i can *expose* my avatars. I have a lot of them including xxx, in my folders,

9. Sep 25, 2005 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, djeipa, that's what you're supposed to tell certain romantically inclined parties after a few beers together. "Wanna see my avatars? They're where I live, which is right around the corner."

10. Sep 25, 2005 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I were Greg, I'd make you pay through the nose for making us look at the assface.

11. Sep 25, 2005 #10
    :rofl: i wonder where he found that pic...

12. Sep 25, 2005 #11
  13. Sep 25, 2005 #12

JamesU

Gold Member

<<<Ewww... through the nose? <<<

wow

14. Sep 25, 2005 #13
  15. Sep 25, 2005 #14

JamesU

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?