What do you see?

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
?? what's impossible about the counter-clockwise spin? her posture seems a little awkward CCW, but as an object I don't see the impossibility (it doesn't have to be a shadow, maybe it's a very opaque black object, or a high-contrast picture with the light source behind the object). both CW and CCW spins work equally well for me.
The shadow is the thing on the floor, below her. It breaks the CW, CCW degeneracy.

Is any of that left brain right brain stuff true?

Is its direction determinant of which side of the brain you use? Are the characteristics true?
I seriously doubt it. I removed the left side of my brain, but it had no effect on my thought process.
Then I removed the right side. Still nothing.

Last edited:
The shadow is the thing on the floor, below her. It breaks the CW, CCW degeneracy.
I get a smile out of it for the idea that they even included the nipples

She was going clockwise for at least two minutes before I could get her to go CCW. My boss saw her going CCW first, but was easily able to get her to flip. Another female in my office saw her going CCW first too. I wasn't able to make her "flip" until I was reading the left brain/right brain traits.

You men are funny.

turbo

Gold Member
I can't seem to make it appear counter-clockwise. It's REALLY solid clockwise to my brain.

haha didn't even notice that shadow. I remember I saw this show about the brain on Discovery Channel. They were talking about how the brain processes what you see, and they showed you this complicated card trick that you have to pay close attention to. Meanwhile, as they switch from angle to angle the background changes colors, the magician changes clothes, even the table on which he is doing the trick changes... of course the whole point is that most people don't notice all this is going on because you are so concentrated on his hands doing the trick.

must admit it blew my mind that I didn't notice all this was happening before my eyes when it looked so obvious when they replayed the clip.

Danger

Gold Member
I seriously doubt it. I removed the left side of my brain, but it had no effect on my thought process.
Then I removed the right side. Still nothing.
:rofl:

I can get her to change directions. Focus on the part between her bottom foot and her shadow.

~christina~

Gold Member
oh wow...I couldn't figure it out how you got it to go the other direction and then it was weird, because I scrolled down the page and just looked at her feet spinning and then I concentrated and lo and behold it turned the other direction...the strange part is I could sort of feel my brain changing either focus or sides?! but it only lasted for about 2-3 spins and then she or my brain decided to make her go the anticlockwise way. (yes I sound loony now)

I seriously think that my brain likes the logic part better...

~christina~

Gold Member
I now think that I'm fighting with my brain...I have to REALLY concentrate and try to make her go the other direction....and it was sad how I lost concentration within half a spin and she went the other way....internal struggles...

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can make it go either way at will, but the shadow is definitely a blooper.

I kind of remember this 'dancing girl' image from another thread about 6 or 8 months ago

I don't see how you can draw any info from the shadow, a shadow more than anything does
not have a direction, it is just a shadow of the original and will more with the original.

I think there maybe some key frames which set the direction possibly, apparently some
frames indicate a direction. There is a site which shows that anyway.

I think it is like a spinning cross, where the arms would just longer and shorter.
its up to you to choose the direction.
If I close my eyes, and maging a direction then open them I can get it to go that
direction more often than not.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
After a while I got it so I could see her leg just waving back and forth in front.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Oh my god...if I stare long enough she starts doing the Macarena...

I took this test to check my brain out.

http://www.wherecreativitygoestoschool.com/vancouver/left_right/rb_results.pl [Broken]

I am 52 left 48 right.
I came out 55% right and 45% left. Some of the questions sre 'difficult' to answer though.

By the way the link you posted shows you are 0% left and 1% right.

I wonder what happened to the rest of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Good point! The shadow breaks the degeneracy. I can only picture her going clockwise (looking from above), but absent the shadow, I know that she can be just as easily pictured going counter-clockwise. Still, after a minute or so of trying (with the shadow hidden), I couldn't get myself to picture a counter-clockwise rotation.

PS: See also: http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/fcs_hollow-face/index.html
What's wrong with the shadow? I can see it going either way and including the shadow both ways. It just takes a few seconds of trying to focus on certain points in the rotation rather than watching the whole thing to get it to switch. The shadow follows.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If the rotation is wrong, her foot is moving away from us when the shadow moves towards us.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If the rotation is wrong, her foot is moving away from us when the shadow moves towards us.
No, the shadow will appear to move that same direction too. It just looks like it's entering from the other side of the screen.

I think the light 'source' changes to compenate for that?

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I see her rotation vector as up (clockwise) most of the time. If I work hard, I can make her rotation vector point point down (counter-clockwise).

My wife see her as clockwise most of the time.

The shadow works for clockwise.

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No, the shadow will appear to move that same direction too. It just looks like it's entering from the other side of the screen.
For my, it's not which way the shadow moves, it's where the shadow is.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
So now the really important question is -

is she spin 1/2 or integer spin, i.e. is she a fermion or a boson?

:biggrin: :tongue2:

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So now the really important question is -

is she spin 1/2 or integer spin, i.e. is she a fermion or a boson?

:biggrin: :tongue2:
Now I see!

She's a quantum superposition of spin up and and spin down. When we observe her spin, we collapse her wavefunction to a definite spin, either up or down. When we look away, or when our minds wander, the superposition is restored, and the process starts all over.