What do you see?

turbo

Gold Member
So now the really important question is -

is she spin 1/2 or integer spin, i.e. is she a fermion or a boson?

:biggrin: :tongue2:
Maybe I can't get her to reverse because of the Pauli Exclusion Principle....:uhh: Waah!

I totally see it going counter-clockwise. I tried staring at it for a bit to see if it goes the other way, just can't seem to see it like that. I'm not sure it is possible for it to go clockwise, or is it???

I totally see it going counter-clockwise. I tried staring at it for a bit to see if it goes the other way, just can't seem to see it like that. I'm not sure it is possible for it to go clockwise, or is it???
I am not sure if staring at it helps, it might work better if you close your eyes or
look away for a while.

[PLAIN][PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5675247,00.gif [Broken] [Broken] [Broken] [Broken] [PLAIN][PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5675247,00.gif [Broken] [Broken] [Broken] [Broken][PLAIN][PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5675247,00.gif [Broken] [Broken] [Broken] [Broken][PLAIN][PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5675247,00.gif [Broken] [Broken] [Broken] [Broken][PLAIN][PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5675247,00.gif [Broken] [Broken] [Broken] [Broken][PLAIN][PLAIN][PLAIN]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5675247,00.gif [Broken] [Broken] [Broken] [Broken]

See who steps out of line first :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
After thinking about it for a long time, I can finally switch which direction I think it looks like she's going at will. :D

JamesU

Gold Member
Every time I see it it seems to be going in a different direction.

Cool illusion

Haha wow! I got her to go side to side without ever doing a full rotation in either direction. Look slightly BELOW your monitor, so that you see her moving in your peripheral vision. She'll go left, then right, left, then right. But never round-and round.

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So now the really important question is -

is she spin 1/2 or integer spin, i.e. is she a fermion or a boson?

:biggrin: :tongue2:
There is obviously a pair of women spinning simultaneously in both directions, both occupying the same space. Pauli does not apply here. Definitely a boson.

Both, it started off going anticlockwise and then went clockwise after a little while. You can be left eye dominant and left brained though, so I'm not sure how much if anything this proves, I am right eye dominant, so it's perhaps unsurprising I saw it go anticlockwise first, until my brain kicked in and now it can go either way according to whether I blink or not. :smile:

When she is spinning clockwise, and the foot which is lifted up passes in front of the foot which is planted on the ground, then the shadow of the lifted foot passes in front of the shadow of the planted foot as would be expected.

However, when she is spinning counter-clockwise, and the foot which is lifted up passes in back of the foot which is planted on the ground, then the shadow of the lifted foot still passes in front of the shadow of the planted foot and this is difficult to explain.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When she is spinning clockwise, and the foot which is lifted up passes in front of the foot which is planted on the ground, then the shadow of the lifted foot passes in front of the shadow of the planted foot as would be expected.

However, when she is spinning counter-clockwise, and the foot which is lifted up passes in back of the foot which is planted on the ground, then the shadow of the lifted foot still passes in front of the shadow of the planted foot and this is difficult to explain.
You guys are all WAY too left-brained to be analyzing the shadow at this level of detail.

This is so weird! I could see it going both ways, but I always see it going clockwise first. I can't figure out how it works, and I cant just pick which way I want to see it; I have to look away or just stare at it for a long time for it to switch directions. It's so confusing though!!

clockwise

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I can see both directions such that the shadow looks valid. The "slope of the floor" and position of light source both seem to shift.

wolram

Gold Member
This is an example of "perceptual rivalry" as the silhouette gives no clues as to what is left or right, so our brains fill in the missing info. Sometimes the brain makes it clockwise, sometimes the brain makes it anit-clockwise. This is linked to switching between the brain's hemispheres - we all switch between the differrent sides to our brains, but the timing varies from person to person.

For those interested, check out Prof. Jack Pettigrew's webpage. This animation is mentioned at point 7 on the following page: http://www.uq.edu.au/nuq/jack/rivalry.html

I went went cross eyed, and the image split into two images, one spun clockwise, and the other counter clockwise. Then both images together began rotating one way on the horizontal axis, and on the vertical axis. Then that entire visualization split into four, and began some complex pattern that seamed to be also linked to a strange glowing orb that surrounded the whole thing, and got brighter and dimmer, and switched colors depending on which eye I concentrated on.

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can see both directions such that the shadow looks valid. The "slope of the floor" and position of light source both seem to shift.
I don't think so. The degeneracy is broken by the fact that the observer is on one side of the woman, not by the position of the light source.

AhmedEzz

does us being able to switch directions mean that we can switch our dependance or reliance or usage from the left to the right side of the brain and vice versa?

turbo

Gold Member
If I look to the left, right, or bottom of the image and use averted vision (useful in observational astronomy) I can manage to see her spinning counter-clockwise if I put my mind to it. Looking at or above the image, she always spins clockwise, and I can't seem to change that.

I saw clockwise no problem, but I had to scroll down and focus on just a small part of the foot before seeing it go counter clockwise.

I initially saw her spinning counterclockwise (when did it become "anti" anyway?) and that was it. Then I read lisab saying to look to the side, and the I saw the image spinning clockwise. Once I see her moving clockwise, though, I can't get it to switch back to counterclockwise. That's a very, very cool effect.

Last edited:

AhmedEzz

but still nobody answered, does us being able to switch directions mean that we can switch our dependance or reliance or usage from the left to the right side of the brain and vice versa?

this is important because if we can then this raises many questions.

At first she appeared to rotate clockwise. Then I read some text- then she rotated counter-clockwise. I looked away at a photo, then looked back and she was rotating clockwise again. I read some text again and she reversed direction. Looked away at a photo and when I looked back again she had reversed direction again.
For me it seems that stimulating my brain with text vs. images determines which way she appears to rotate.